Airbrush problem

mezon

Hello,

I'm doing plastic models, started airbrushing recently, had a "toy" compressor, i was happy with it, but it broke, and i got this new one
https://www.cmmodellismo.it/it/compressori/3996-fengda-mini-compressore-as-18-2.htmlBut somehow im getting this result, a furry texture of painting, not sticking to the surface. I'm using revell enamel paint. Tried with one of my greens and this black, same results.

After wating to dry and give it a light brushing:
s
[![enter image description here][1]][1]
Is it a known problem?
Thank

The enamel is drying before it hits the work .
How far away are you holding the airbrush ?
Are you using a thinner for the enamel ?

It doesn't look like you're using a primer ( ? ) -- but that's not the major issue .

The enamel is drying before it hits the work .
How far away are you holding the airbrush ?
Are you using a thinner for the enamel ?

It doesn't look like you're using a primer ( ? ) -- but that's not the major issue .
No, i never used primer, but had very nice results without it.
My compressor came with a 4 bar default setting, i think my previous "toy" compressor hardly made 2 bars .
I guess the pressure is too high, and i'm holding the brush too far.
So i made a test with 2.5 bars, spraying from about 6-7 cm. It is better but still far-far from the result i had before.
Next i will turn down to 1.5 bars.

Never measured the mixing ratio before, just made it to a milk consistency, but, yes, i am using a thinner.

keep experimenting - you'll get there .
Closer to the work and lower pressure will prevent the dry-coat .
Thinner should help but it should take a very small amount .

Turned the pressure down much much lower, painting it from very close, same shitty results, just the furry texture of the paint is finer.
Funny, I had very nice first results with the cheapest stuff, now i have proper tools, and can't make it acceptable...
Thanks anyway

So the only thing that you have changed is the air source ?

What are you using for thinner ?

So the only thing that you have changed is the air source ?

What are you using for thinner ?
Yes, only the compressor was changed from cheap membrane to a oil-free piston operated.
Using Revell Color Mix thinner with Revell enamel.

So, you are saying this can also caused by overthinning the paint? That milk consistency is around 1:1 ratio.

I've never used Revell paints and the only enamels I airbrush are metallics and are AB ready so need no thinner .
Revell recommends 3 to 4 parts paint to 1 part thinner so 1: 1 appears to be a very dilute mixture -- that would explain how easy it is to remove from the plastic once it " dries " .

My suggestion test and experiment with the paint to thinner ratio that works. Sometimes you need to figure out what works yourself than what Revell recommends. It's all about trail and error.

Latest posts

Back