Getting back into aircraft modeling leading up to an end project

So, sounds like two kits should be enough? Stick around swimmerod. I see a group build a comin' on.

We'll practice.

Together.

If all else fails, it'll be HAMMER TIME.

Can't touch dis.

rmx857546__93484.jpg

Rob.

What appeals to me is the challenge of taking a below par kit and trying to make it look something. Pantherman

Agreed. There is absolutely no way "Ages 8 and up" can cause any hammer action.

Pantherman, I'm in too.

I want to make sure... Which one of the re-issues are y'all hammerin' or would any be the same?

Rob.

Hold up on that car wash gentlemen!

If the Black Widow from Revell is considered a bad kit, get 2. I don't personally know how it builds since I only have that kit for kit bash parts, but you want the practice, right? Known bad kits will be good for practicing and I take Down Time's word for that, he builds planes all the time. In fact, if you've seen people say a kit is bad, grab one for practice.

Rob.
I'm wondering similar (but different)...

If that kit is so bad (I think I built it without paint in 1972, maybe) why are the ones from HL worse than others?

If that kit is so bad (I think I built it without paint in 1972, maybe) why are the ones from HL worse than others?
Re-read my response on why. Any current Revell Black Widow kit out there REGARDLESS where it’s bought is outright utterly terrible kit. It’s not just at Hobby Lobby, it’s any store, including online stores. They’re all re-pops from the original Monogram white box Black Widow kit from the 70s. It makes no difference where it’s bought, it’s still a bad kit using old moldings Revell acquired from Monogram.

Them that dies'll be the lucky ones...

Trow me de idol, I trow you de wip...

Rob.

What appeals to me is the challenge of taking a below par kit and trying to make it look something. Pantherman

Alrighty P-man, according to Scalemates, this 2015 release is the latest release, so we should get maximum garbage right outta the box with this version. If they've gotten worse with every release, this should be the worserest.

p61.jpg

I'm picking that kit up ASAP. If you're joining me, keep me posted.

Rob.

Yep, I think the consensus is, no matter where it comes from it's bad, so that's good for me. I've just bought the very latest (that I'm aware) release just like the one pictured in my last post and a spank brand new hammer.

Pick up one Edbert and join me and Pantherman into the spider's web.

Rob.

Last edited:
Agreed. There is absolutely no way "Ages 8 and up" can cause any hammer action.

Pantherman, I'm in too.

I want to make sure... Which one of the re-issues are y'all hammerin' or would any be the same?

Rob.

Alrighty P-man, according to Scalemates, this 2015 release is the latest release, so we should get maximum garbage right outta the box with this version. If they've gotten worse with every release, this should be the worserest.

View attachment 117522

Rob.
Mine is on order, should be here in a week or so. That will give me time to finish my DDay build. Pantherman

Welcome to the Herd, Swimmingrod!

If you want to build the Monogram P-61 (not Revell, regardless of the logo on the box), then look for an old boxing, as others have suggested. The "white box" boxing was the first, back in the mid-70s. The box was overall white, with a photo of the built model on the lid. It included Shep Paine's "Tips on Building Dioramas" brochure, featuring the diorama Shep built with the Black Widow (see the brochure here).

Black Sheep mentioned this: over the years, and through subsequent releases, and merger with Revell, the molds have worn. More recent releases are more likely to have fit issues, flash, etc.

It's not a bad kit, but I would buy the older release off the secondary market, eg, eBay, at shows, at club meetings, than the latest release.

That goes for pretty much any kit released by Monogram, too. I build Monogram, and Revell, which were the brands I built as a kid (I was born in 1964). But I buy older boxings on the second-hand market. I don't care if the kit includes the decals, either, and I have gotten away without instructions. Bagged kits are fine; as long as all the parts are there, I'm happy. But the older boxings were popped when the molds were still relatively new.

To return to your original question about a 737 kit, I'm afraid I can't really help, because I don't build airliners, or jets, really. I haven't built an airliner since I was a kid, an Aurora Boeing 727. I couldn't even say, off the top of my head, who today makes airliners, but I do know that there are kits on the market.

Someone else mentioned Scalemates, which is a scale modeling database in wiki form. It's very useful, a lot of good info there, though it's all member-driven. That is, what's there is there because someone added the info. So you might not find something, but there is a ton of info there. I'd visit Scalemates and search on "boeing 737" as a start. From there, you could search online for vendors who carry any kit you find.

Hope that helps!
Best regards,
Brad

Last edited:

View attachment 117522

Rob.
Think we might need to start a new thread if this is a group build?

Maybe something like pain or pleasure P61 ?
Or who will drop the hammer on a P61 ?
Pantherman

Welcome to the Herd, Swimmingrod!

If you want to build the Monogram P-61 (not Revell, regardless of the logo on the box), then look for an old boxing, as others have suggested. The "white box" boxing was the first, back in the mid-70s. The box was overall white, with a photo of the built model on the lid. It included Shep Paine's "Tips on Building Dioramas" brochure, featuring the diorama Shep built with the Black Widow (see the brochure here).

Black Sheep mentioned this: over the years, and through subsequent releases, and merger with Revell, the molds have worn. More recent releases are more likely to have fit issues, flash, etc.

It's not a bad kit, but I would buy the older release off the secondary market, eg, eBay, at shows, at club meetings, than the latest release.

That goes for pretty much any kit released by Monogram, too. I build Monogram, and Revell, which were the brands I built as a kid (I was born in 1964). But I buy older boxings on the second-hand market. I don't care if the kit includes the decals, either, and I have gotten away without instructions. Bagged kits are fine; as long as all the parts are there, I'm happy. But the older boxings were popped when the molds were still relatively new.

To return to your original question about a 737 kit, I'm afraid I can't really help, because I don't build airliners, or jets, really. I haven't built an airliner since I was a kid, an Aurora Boeing 727. I couldn't even say, off the top of my head, who today makes airliners, but I do know that there are kits on the market.

Someone else mentioned Scalemates, which is a scale modeling database in wiki form. It's very useful, a lot of good info there, though it's all member-driven. That is, what's there is there because someone added the info. So you might not find something, but there is a ton of info there. I'd visit Scalemates and search on "boeing 737" as a start. From there, you could search online for vendors who carry any kit you find.

Hope that helps!
Best regards,
Brad
Hey Brad,

Thanks for the warm welcome.

I have a model in mind and a decal set I may use. I kind of wanted to buy two models, one to try decals and one to try air brushing.

The 737 models I have an eye on:
https://spruebrothers.com/bpk72019-1-72-big-planes-kits-737-800-klm/
https://spruebrothers.com/bpk72018-1-72-big-planes-kits-737-800-qantas/

The decal set:
https://www.airlinedecals.com/southwest-airlines

View attachment 117522

Rob.
What a waste of money…

Latest posts

Back