Getting back into aircraft modeling leading up to an end project

Hey Brad,

Thanks for the warm welcome.

I have a model in mind and a decal set I may use. I kind of wanted to buy two models, one to try decals and one to try air brushing.

The 737 models I have an eye on:
https://spruebrothers.com/bpk72019-1-72-big-planes-kits-737-800-klm/
https://spruebrothers.com/bpk72018-1-72-big-planes-kits-737-800-qantas/

The decal set:
https://www.airlinedecals.com/southwest-airlines
Big bucks for a 1/72 scale airliner. Just as bad as1/350 scale ship kits only more expensive.

My advice… get a cheap aircraft kit to practice your airbrushing, not on a $100 plus kit.

Mine is on order, should be here in a week or so. That will give me time to finish my DDay build. Pantherman

Yes sir, me too!

p61.jpg

This may sound like a lie, but, I even made sure it was in a racked box so hopefully some of the parts will be broken along with any flaws from the molds. Seems as though we've got our choice for $25 bucks.

Ill join in on the fun, count me in!

Of course! Now, since you aren't 100% on your confidence yet, I would say you don't have to get this REVELL P-61. Like "The Baron" said, if you just want a P-61, choose another if you're unsure. Any kits, as you mentioned, will be practice, so grab one and join all up in here with us. Certainly, grab the same one we wanna try if you like. Ultimately, regardless of what you may hear, buy any kit you want to. Practice on a BANDAI Perfect Grade Millennium Falcon if you want to.

What a waste of money…

OK, Hold up here??? Are you saying this is a horrible idea, a bad kit and that we shouldn't do this? I wish I had seen something about that earlier? Man. Regerts.

Think we might need to start a new thread if this is a group build?

Maybe something like pain or pleasure P61 ?
Or who will drop the hammer on a P61 ?
Pantherman

We've got 3 who admit to wanting to try this, so I believe we now qualify as a group? I'm doing it regardless and will be delighted for the company!

A good thread title is critical, but yes it should be re-located in my opinion. swimmingrod has been welcomed. He's part of the crew now so we can let his Introduction thread return to normal?

Rob.

Last edited:
Hmmmm. I built this back in the day. It wasdnt the best thing I have touched, if memory serves, but not the worst. Id be curious as to how bad its gotten over the years of producing over and over. I have too much on my plate for the near future to join in the fun, but I may snag one and give it a go later just to see.

Hmmmm. I built this back in the day. It wasdnt the best thing I have touched, if memory serves, but not the worst. Id be curious as to how bad its gotten over the years of producing over and over. I have too much on my plate for the near future to join in the fun, but I may snag one and give it a go later just to see.

You are certainly welcome. We'll drag in a chair from off the porch if'n we gotta.

Rob.

I have the Hobby Boss 1/48 P-61C Black Widow. If I had more time I would join you guys but I will have to miss this one.

Yes sir, me too!

View attachment 117532

This may sound like a lie, but, I even made sure it was in a racked box so hopefully some of the parts will be broken along with any flaws from the molds. Seems as though we've got our choice for $25 bucks.

Of course! Now, since you aren't 100% on your confidence yet, I would say you don't have to get this REVELL P-61. Like "The Baron" said, if you just want a P-61, choose another if you're unsure. Any kits, as you mentioned, will be practice, so grab one and join all up in here with us. Certainly, grab the same one we wanna try if you like. Ultimately, regardless of what you may hear, buy any kit you want to. Practice on a BANDAI Perfect Grade Millennium Falcon if you want to.

OK, Hold up here??? Are you saying this is a horrible idea, a bad kit and that we shouldn't do this? I wish I had seen something about that earlier? Man. Regerts.

We've got 3 who admit to wanting to try this, so I believe we now qualify as a group? I'm doing it regardless and will be delighted for the company!

A good thread title is critical, but yes it should be re-located in my opinion. swimmingrod has been welcomed. He's part of the crew now so we can let his Introduction thread return to normal?

Rob.
Ok all concerned, how about I start a thread called. Revell P61, waiting for the hammer to fall !!
Are we all happy with that? Pantherman

Hello, as the title says, I would like to get into aircraft modeling to build up to an end of the summer project I have in mind.

The final project is going to be a model 737-800 with a Southwest Airlines Decal/Paint to gift my girlfriend who's aspiring to be a pilot.

Here are some questions I have:

- What model 737 should I purchase?
- What would be some models I could work on honing my skills for the project?
- What airbrush kit should I purchase?

If I have anymore questions, I will post them on here. Optimistically, my budget would be about $700 - $900 for the entire summer (Materials, models, paints, etc)

Please help me out!
Welcome aboard and when you get to the 737 it should come with missing parts or parts that don't properly fit together, at least if it is an actual depiction of a Boeing Airliner. :D

Welcome aboard and when you get to the 737 it should come with missing parts or parts that don't properly fit together, at least if it is an actual depiction of a Boeing Airliner. :D
And once it’s built parts may fall off of it.

And once it’s built parts may fall off of it.

AND two more for the "died suddenly and there is no explanation" pile.

Rob.

Last edited:
Yep, I think the consensus is, no matter where it comes from it's bad, so that's good for me. I've just bought the very latest (that I'm aware) release just like the one pictured in my last post and a spank brand new hammer.

Pick up one Edbert and join me and Pantherman into the spider's web.

Rob.
I'm trying to learn how to use paint without "Testors" .

Rather...learning to use my antique collection of paint and kits with modern glues (99% of my experience, and I was really good, was with lead-tubed goo from, yeah, Testors) and the entire concept of non-toxicity!

I'm trying...this is from today, a layer of 1500, with some enamel (yeah Testors) chrome on high-wear areas, and a layer of the wife's hairspray. (my first time to ever even try this chipping thing).
1716516695577.png

I've done most of the white and light blue. Both colors unfinished. But I'm afraid of my my dark blue and need help...
https://www.scalemodeladdict.com/threads/tamiya-paint-question-xf-17-xf-8.15529/

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back