Academy 1/700 R.M.S. Titanic

edz280zx

Supplies! My kingdom for supplies!!
First build log and first entry into the BSC 15'. I've chosen one of my favorite subjects to get back into the swing of things. The kit finally came in today!

100_0989_zps7hx4qpk9.jpg

100_0990_zpsaaspvdqx.jpg

The hull and superstructure are molded in color but they will be getting painted anyway. There is pretty good detail on the hull with only a few "inaccuracies". Overall I'm actually pretty impressed with the kit when compared to the Minicraft 1/350 kit. And I do like the fact that you can build it as a waterline, which is what I plan on doing. I've already got a wood deck kit coming, along with several p.e. sets. I'm going to try and rigg it with ez-line fine. We'll see how that goes..lol.

Some more pics....

100_0993_zpszo65dcjr.jpg

100_0991_zpsyoca3eep.jpg

100_0995_zpsof5itgio.jpg

Thanks for watching!! lol - Ed

Congrats on getting your first build underway her Ed!!! And a nice choice for the BSC!! She's one of my favorites!! Looking forward to following along with you build!! ;)

Thank you for your kind words fellas...still waiting on a few supplies before I really start in on her.

So... I started work on the big T tonight! (please forgive my descriptions and lack of progress photos, I promise I'll do better next time)

Started by dry fitting some of the decks, mainly the forecastle deck. Big fitment issue here. After cutting the molded in railing I noticed that the sides that the deck sit on were basically about two times too thick for the deck to sit at the correct height. I went ahead and glued the side pieces onto the lower hull for added strength as they are a bit flimsp by themselves. Went back and forth between sanding out the inside and fitting the deck until I was satisfied with how it sat.

100_1004_zpset6hmhcx.jpg

100_1000_zpsc1dp5y6a.jpg

There's still going to be a little fiddling with it and definitely some filler there at the peak of the bow, but it is much better than it was. I was almost like they designed it to sit above the molded in railing.

I then started taking off railing and stairs in prep for the p.e. Noticed that they didn't have the open area under the deck so I went ahead and opened that up as well. I will build the under structure that is supposed to be there out of some scrap.

100_1002_zpsahkp3bzh.jpg

Went ahead and sanded the only seam line on the hull I could find which was at the stern.

100_1005_zps4jnh5uar.jpg

My p.e. arrived today! Here's some pics of that and it'll give you an idea of how small this stuff is. I definitely don't see me being able to use everything there, but it will definitely improve the look of the finished model..

100_1010_zpsifukced2.jpg

100_1012_zpsw7bfcpee.jpg

100_1014_zpsmqqqgsv5.jpg

And here's a shot of the model with some of the decks mocked up....

100_1006_zps1spxiqdu.jpg

Thanks for watching! More to come....

-Ed

I'd say that work you're putting into the fit will pay off for you. Smart to deal what that now rather than later with a ton of putty.

PE looks nice; like you say don't stress over using every.single.part. Just use what you want. Nice.

Thanks guys! I'm waiting on my decks now so I can start putting up the walls on the superstructure.

c2fdfa493faaa8223cb1893aca9bbbf5.jpg

LOL....

Have kind of come to a stop on it. Still waiting on the decking.

nicholas.... :D :D love me a good WD meme.

I have to do this, sorry if it's a hijacking...
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/jR4lLJu_-wE" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Nice work on getting the decks to fit on this one!! Good news on the PE showing up too...keep it coming!!!

Well.....looks like I'm not gonna be getting this done in time for the contest. Time restraints involving work, money, life, ect... have left with little time left for modeling right now. I will continue to work on this as I get time, I'll probably just move the thread over to the watercraft area. I'm still around tho and continue to watch everyone else's progress! This is an awesome forum and I'm still glad to be a part of it, however small. ;)

Been there myself many times. I think this is the first time i got a project done in time. Please do finish it though and show us your progress. It looks like a fine kit to build!

Latest posts

Back