About automotive primers

CY343491

Hi,
Are primers which they use to prime plastic bumpers on cars suitable for plastic models? Anyone using them to prime models, does it hurt polystrene and does it react with acrylic top coat?

" Are primers which they use to prime plastic bumpers on cars suitable for plastic models? "
Yes .

" does it hurt polystrene and does it react with acrylic top coat? "
No .
It IS acrylic resin .

According to your experience, what are pros & cons if we compare it with mr. surfacer?

It's all similar chemistry .
They are all solvent based acrylic resins .
Gives good bond to polystyrene due to solvents in the vehicle such as butyl acetate and other ketones .

Have you ever decant the can and used it with airbrush, if yes how do you clean airbrush after?

I never decant aerosol cans .
The resin is acrylic so isopropyl alcohol will clean the AB .

I don't know what you're using so if the can says " modified alkyd resin " you will be need to clean the AB with mineral spirit ( white spirit ) or turpentine unless the paint is cured then xylene ( xylol ) or a cleaner like that Tamiya's that contains butyl acetate to dissolve cured alkyd .
Alkyd is " enamel " <-- a term I despise ,

Thanks, so you mean Tamiya's AB cleaner which has the same formula with tamiya cement?

Hi urumomo, i've ordered an aerosol can primer on amazon, looks like i didn't read description well, i thought it was black primer, but when i sprayed it to spoon it sprayed transparent, below image you can see the description on can;
Plastic Primer.jpeg
I am willing to black base my model with cheap aerosol can(acrylic), do you think that i need this stuff before paint?

Latest posts

Back