A-7A Corsair II: Completed

Should I paint the Navy or Camo version?

• Total voters

Grendels

Here is the start up video. I am about finished with the 747 space shuttle combo, and this is the last in my series on paint experiments. I have been letting my YouTube audience vote on paint scheme, so now to bring it to SMA. Navy version or Camo, the most votes wins

A-7A Corsair II

Re: A-7A Corsair II

redraider56 said:
13aceofspades13 said:
that looks like the F8 Crusader.

The A-7 and F-8 look very much alike

have you ever heard of the F8-U3 Super Crusader? it was way ahead of its time, im suprised they chose the F-4 Phantom over the F-8U3.

Haven't looked at the video yet (stupid work net blocks Youtube)
But, as far as schemes go, I'd say go Navy

Call me crazy, but a Air Guard, A-7 in camo is not often seen.

Go for the clean grey and white, GO NAVY! ;D

Hate to say it but the YouTube crowd is voting almost overwhelmingly for Camo. 23 votes there for Camo, with zero votes for Navy. It does appear that a Camo version was used during Desert Storm. Here is the wiki on the plane:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LTV_A-7_Corsair_II

Now the camo versions almost always were the A-7D variant. Used in the USAF.

Don't put a whole lot of faith into Wiki.

The only A-7s used in the Gulf War were the Navy A-7E's. While the USAF did still have some of their A-7Ds in service, they didn't take them to the Gulf, preferring to use the A-10.

All Navy A-7Es were the grey on grey like so:

300px-A-7E_Corsair_II.jpg

There were some painted in Desert Camo, but were still Navy aircraft.

a7e_golfo.jpg

The desert camo would be a good opportunity to practice pre and post shading on camo, as well as some weathering.

Here is a new update on this:

Corsair A7-A part 2

Over on YouTube, voting was for Camo hands down. I think I am going to use the photo at the beginning of the video as a reference, either that, or the one provided by Elm City Hobbies.

Figures, you fix it right after I did.
I'll look at the vid itself in a bit

Ace: Yes I have. Looks good, just haven't had time to comment yet....

Video looks good, Grendels. That one's definitely going better than the 747.

i was going to say make a little box out of styrene peaces, take some styrene bits and make cockpit details.

for gaige round edges for the instrument panel, take a peace of brass pipe and cut small peaces for the gauge details, wiring for hoses and such.

Grendels - I like the the wheels up and flying with the brass rod / base idea.. I just think a plane looks better flying than on the ground - but that's just me.

As for the cockpit, what is the scale again? I've a couple ideas, first idea comes from one of the practice kits I'm building. I'm building a 1:144 SU-22 right now - tiny - no cockpit either, so I primed over the clear parts. I'll paint the the fuselage and frame at the same time (brown and green). then come back and paint the glass black with a little jewelling effect painted on. Might not work so good for you however as the corsair canopy frame is black I think...

Second idea, scavenge a pilot from a dollor store friction toy or similar. Paint up said scavenged pilot to look sort of like a Navy aviator. You said the clear parts are thick and distort the view, so it doesn't need to be really all that accurate, just have to give the apperance of a manned cockpit.

JMac

Latest posts

Back