101st Paratrooper Stretcher Bearer 1944

cobraleader

G'Day All,

I surrender! :'(.
Tried making a video of my build, but it failed. oh well, back to the tried and proven techniques - photo's.

I recently purchased a 1/16 US Paratrooper Stretcher Bearer on Ebay from resin-kit.

This is my first resin figure kit.

Molding appears ok, a few pin holes to deal with.

Figure has been assembled and primed with Tamiya Primer.
I've decided to use AKE's technique for figure painting.

So, to begin, here are the colours that I'm using.

Face Colours.

stretcher_bearer_face_colours.jpg

Tamiya XF-64
Humbrol 73
Humbrol 61
Humbrol 121
Humbrol 34
(All Enamel paints)

Eye Colours

stretcher_bearer_eyes_colours.jpg

Humbrol 147
Humbrol 34

I started with a base of Humbrol 61 and painted the eyes.

stretcher_bearer_face_paint_1.jpg

I then moved to a darker colour base using the XF-64 and Humbrol 73 colours. I used Tamiya Enamel thinners to thin everything down for ease of painting. As AKE shown in his video, I started moving down the colour range for the face.

stretcher_bearer_face_paint_2.jpg

stretcher_bearer_face_paint_3.jpg

stretcher_bearer_face_paint_4.jpg

stretcher_bearer_face_paint_5.jpg

and finally reached an end point

stretcher_bearer_face_paint_7.jpg

I finish the head with Tamiya XF-62 mixed with shades of XF-60 to paint the wool liner on the head

Next is the legs and body.

Thanks

cheers
Mark

G'Day All,

This layering technique is easy to work with - especially if you make mistakes during painting.
In the last couple of hours (and working with enamels) I've managed to get the legs and main body painted.

Not entirely happy with the main body - I don't like the colour of the overcoat, but as I've read on other forums regarding uniforms during WWII, there are alot of variations on the dyes used, how quickly they faded or how many people wore the uniform (depending on casualties etc).
Might try misting a thinned coat of light gray over it, just to fade it further.

Anyway, here's the latest pics for today.

Thanks

cheers
Mark

stretcher_bearer_paint_8.jpg

stretcher_bearer_paint_9.jpg

stretcher_bearer_paint_10.jpg

stretcher_bearer_paint_11.jpg

Those pics are looking good. Figure work can be challenging, and it looks like you're definitely up to it.

G'Day All,

Not much has progressed on the figure.

Quaralane - "Figure work can be challenging" - that's an understatement.
I started working on the harness and noticed problems with the paint work for the coat.
Missed sections of the uniform and noticed primer showing through the base coat.

So I've re-coated the coat colour and added thinned dark brown in the creases and folds of the coat.

I've been holding onto the legs when I've been painting, so alot of wear is showing on the raised details.
I'll fix these up later.
Another draw back/slow down, is the humbrol paints I've been using have remained tacky (even fresh tins) for a day or so, so it makes handling and painting interesting and causing delays.

I've just finished the first layer of paint for the harness and equipment, before taking photo's.

Thanks

cheers
Mark

stretcher_bearer_paint_12.jpg

stretcher_bearer_paint_13.jpg

stretcher_bearer_paint_14.jpg

stretcher_bearer_paint_15.jpg

thanks mate. not really happy with the face though. The picture directly above makes it look worse.

Mouth and eyes are weird - mouth looks like he's turning into Dracula.

I'll have to touch up the eye's later

Hi Mark ,I thought I had commented on this one before ??? sorry fella.
Anyway ...he's looking good ,interesting subject too . Regarding the eyes, I normally mix in a little sand or flesh colour to kill the pure white . The Iris should take up about 70% of the eye ,you may find it easier to place the iris using a tooth pick rather than a brush ,just shave the point to suit ! A tiny white dot on the iris will help put some life into the eye too . Hope thats of some help ;)

Chris.

Thanks guys,

I mixed in 50:50 of flat white and light gray for the eyes, but used straight black for the pupil.
I might just dilute some clear red or yellow to flood the eye, especially around the eye lids. I've done this on Dinosaur kits and does give some emotion.
Red will give that tired look, so might go with that now.

Jingles, thanks for the photo - excellent reference.

And I just noticed, the 101st guys would have had a heavy 5 o'clock shadow, so still more work :'( .

Re: 101st Paratrooper Stretcher Bearer 1944 (Finished)

G'Day All,

Its been over a month since the last update, however here is the finished figure - I finished touching up a few things only minutes before taking the photo's

stretcher_bearer_finished_01.jpg

The Stand is from a Trophy Store, with a scenery base made from .80 thou Plastcard and a papier mache type material. Tamiya Flat Black (XF1) painted around the edges, XF64 painted over the "soil" and followed up with Tamiya Dirt Soil Effect with random painting of the Tamiya Green Grass Effect diorama texture paint.
The dry grass, dead tree stump and small bush are from the Woodlands Scenic's range. The Snow was applied using Woodlands Snow and then spray with Woodlands glue and another application of Snow.
Figure was mounted using a brass pin mounted through the base and superglued to the Trophy stand.

I've touched up the eye's, but they are still my main frustration with the kit. I retouched after the photo's were taken and have put aside for later.
I'll do up some better quality photo's for the gallery section shortly (once I'm happy with the eye's)

In the mean time, here are some more pics

stretcher_bearer_finished_02.jpg

stretcher_bearer_finished_03.jpg

Well done getting this one finished :D, Looks very good to me ! excellent work .....anymore on the go ?

Chris.

Chris S said:
Well done getting this one finished :D, Looks very good to me ! excellent work .....anymore on the go ?

Chris.

I've got a few 1/35 figures running around for vignettes and diorama's, but nothing in any larger scale.
Found a Sarumon figure (LOTR) on HLJ recently - might buy that one and give it a try.

Sarumon would be a nice one ..what scale ?

Chris.

Coorrr ..1/6 , Thats a biggy ;D...would look good tho'

Chris.

Latest posts

Back