101st AIRBORNE AT CARENTAN, JUNE 1944

Loo, Kybo, Camode, Privy

Or is it just an outhouse? There are many names for taking care of business, but I'm calling this an "outhouse". This little insignificant addition should bring the scenario to life and help tell the story. A very simple build using ½"x1/16" strips of pine milled on the band saw, plus a few other square strips of various dimensions. The hardware was made form sheet copper with copper wire for hinge pins and sewing pins were cut to size for attachment bolts. This took only a few days to knock out and was a nice diversion.

View attachment 95832 View attachment 95833 View attachment 95834

I made the potty bucket from sheet pewter and copper wire. Just a simple design since it won't be seen up close.

View attachment 95835 View attachment 95836 View attachment 95837

After the structure was complete, I gave the entire build a wash of Burnt Sienna with a touch of Cadmium Orange oils. I coated all over, inside and out, to make sure the base tone was visible throughout. Next began the sun beat worn effect using Burnt Umber and Raw Sienna with Mig's pigments, white or light tones only. Several Burnt Umber tinted washes were applied to slowly bring out a sun beat dusty appearance.

I had never done wood weathering with pigments in the past and found this method very simple with great results. It will now be a standard for my tool box of techniques.

View attachment 95838 View attachment 95839 View attachment 95840 View attachment 95841

Since this outhouse is intended to appear well used and having been in service for some time, I had to beat it up just a little, but not too much. I also wanted to bring out the weathering often found in wetter climates such as areas in Northern France. I tried to not overdo it, but I think this will work out just fine. Mig's Slimy Grime Light and Dark came in handy for the subtle mold and mossing effects.

No outhouse would be complete without a few newspapers inside, not only for reading material, but for taking care of business. Reading material was printed from photos of WWII French newspapers found on line.

View attachment 95842 View attachment 95843

Once the outhouse is attached to the base, I will add boot prints and a bit more dusting, but for now, it will be set aside awaiting final installation.

Thanks for watchin. Cheers, Ski.
Fantastic! The outhouse looks so accurate that I can see the flies and smell the poo!

Latest posts

Back