1/48 Revell B-25J

Holden

After not building a model in many, many years I've decided to try my hand at it again with this project.

001.jpg

Nothing fancy just a whats in the box build. All I'm going to attempt to do is try to get a descent finish. If things a going good with the build maybe I'll try a little light weathering so it doesn't look to clean.

Sweet ...These things really look the part all weathered up and faded paint ;D Looking forward to it ;)

Chris.

I know it's some what ambitious for not building anything since I was a kid. If I take my time, use some of the knowledge I learned here while I was lurking and watching building videos on You Tube, I might pull it off. Since I already had an air compressor to do DIY projects around the house I invested in a descent airbrush for painting instead of using the spray cans. I've been practicing on copy paper or an old plastic butter bowl and i think I got paint thinning and air pressure setting down, just working on using the double action trigger and not putting on the paint to thick

Sounds like you got a nice head start then. I used to be so afraid of airbrushing but once I got the hang of it, it became second nature. I still have much to learn though.
Those Revell kits are great for this application, basic enough to not be too difficult to assemble yet detailed enough to make it interesting to build. They look great when done too. I have one of the gun-nosed kits in the stash this will be done in an olive drab over neutral gray sometime.

Anyways, dont be afraid to ask questions here, were all here to help when needed. And have fun. be sure to post lots of pics for us to look at.

ps: Love you avatar, I have been a Rush fan since Moving Pictures first came out. ;D

I'm just one of them type of people that want a good knowledge base before I jump into something. I just about fell over from sticker shock when I started looking at model kits again, I don't want to ruin a 30 dollar kit because I thought I'll just learn as I go.

Thanks for the Avatar comment, I have been a Rush fan since 1980! ;D

Ok guys, I got the parts washed in warm soapy water,rinsed and air dried last night. here is some shots of the parts trees.
Didn't take any pics of the clear parts or decals yet, will get to them on a later post.

002.jpg

001-1.jpg

004.jpg

003.jpg

Here are some close ups in case anyone in interested in the kits level of detail.

006.jpg

009.jpg

The kit has raised panel detail but it looks nice.
007.jpg

Seat belts are molded in.
008.jpg

Tonight I'm going to start taking the major big parts off the trees and start doing some test fitting.

Nice choice for a build, and in 1:48 she'll be a good size too. Looking forward to following the construction progress.

I just finished one of those not too long ago

loved it ! i do recomment the eduard PE set its cheap and really kicks up the detail especially the .50 barels and the amo belts

p1030148.jpg

p1030274c.jpg

Thank you for the advice Neo, your example looks great. I think I will just leave this a KISS ( Keep it simple stupid ) build, need to work on the basics right now.

Got some what of a start to the project. The base coat is tamiya XF-58 olive green and the chromate yellow in the bomb bay is tamiya XF-4 yellow green.

003-1.jpg

001-2.jpg

002-1.jpg

004-1.jpg

I got a nice little pre shade effect with the yellow sprayed over the the darker olive green. I think I'll run with it and not do another coat of the yellow. I might even try lighting up some olive drab with some white and go over the green and see how it looks.

Ahhh, I've got the gun-nose kit in the stash. Started the interior, intending to display it at the office due to some space issues at home. A week after I start.... impending renos at the office have me parked at a desk in a hallway right now. Guess I need to wait until I have someplace to display her. :mad:

I got some weathering done on the inside, just need to pick out a few more details. I might be going a little overboard because when you put the fuselage halves together you don't see a whole lot except maybe in the cockpit and nose.

003-2.jpg

I did a pastel wash with some dry brushing, for the inside I'm thinking it might be a little of an overkill.

Holden,

Looks good to me.
As far as overboard is concerned, that is experience
and practice you can not replace, even if it is sealed up.
Your going to enjoy this kit.

Got a little bit more done this week. It's a slow pace with this kit, a lot of mold seam lines to clean up or injector pin marks to fill. But hey it's an older kit so I expected to have to put a little work in to it.

001-3.jpg

002-2.jpg

005.jpg

006-1.jpg

Still learning how to use my camera. It's a real cheapo point and shoot that was a Christmas present from like 8 years ago. But it does have a macro setting and I took JMac's advice and went and got a tri pod for it. Just need to work on my DOF and lighting, I think I need to maybe get another lamp, the other will just take patients and practice.

Nice progress on the B-25. The inside looks like its almost ready to close up the fuselage.

The pictures look better too. Glad to help with some photo advice. You can attach larger image files, the restrictions to post attachments are listed below the file attachment menu. I usually attach image files that are 600x800, sometimes larger if there are few image files or I want to show more detail.

That interior is looking good Holden ,coming along nice :)

Chris.

Latest posts

Back