1/48 Boeing AH-64D Longbow Apache

Re: 1/48 Boeing AH-64D Longbow Apache (Updated w/ Help Needed)

Thanks guys!!! My plan of attack for this evening will be to polish the underside of the canopy and then do a combination of Scott's suggestion and TRM's suggestion. I'm going to see if I can't get it to fit better and then fill any resulting gaps with PVA. Nice thing about PVA is I can wipe away any extra without damaging the clear.

It's looking awesome at any rate there Adam! Really dig the details you painted onto the MFDs

Thanks man! I'm hanging out with the fam tonight so no real model time. I'll be back at it Friday at the latest.

adampolo13 said:
Thanks guys!!! My plan of attack for this evening will be to polish the underside of the canopy and then do a combination of Scott's suggestion and TRM's suggestion. I'm going to see if I can't get it to fit better and then fill any resulting gaps with PVA. Nice thing about PVA is I can wipe away any extra without damaging the clear.
Looks like a strip of styrene would work great in there. The back and bottom look snug.
Clear parts! That's where they get ya.

Alrighty folks, a little bit of an update. First, I have to say thank you to everybody who gave me advise on how to fix those gaps. I have to give a big shout out to TRM as he suggested that I use PVA (a.k.a white glue). Well, I'm NEVER going to worry about gaps around canopies, wing roots, grab handles, nothing!

Here's where I'm at with the canopy and the wing roots.
IMG_0584_zpsfcde54d4.jpg

IMG_0586_zps92380ae8.jpg

After I glued the canopy down I mixed up a 50/50 mixture of PVA and water, not too think not too thin. Then I took a nice fine tip brush and dabbled the mixture in the gaps. The nice thing is that capillary action sucked the glue into the gaps, that and it is self leveling so I didn't have to sand anything down. Some of the larger gaps required multiple applications but it is SO EASY and you can clearly see it works very well. I also applied this method to the wing roots and the small gaps around the handles etc that I started gluing in place. I'm a happy camper to say the least!

Cockpit details are nicely done. Your build is shaping up very well around the canopy. Great job.

Adam how did you determine the ratio of water to glue to get your mixture ???? That cockpit is looking fabulous. Glad you got the gap fixed without going to extreme. Looking good.

Getting in late on this one Adam. You're kicking some butt my friend!

Thank you very much guys! I haven't got any more progress to report on this one, I spent the day yesterday at ValleyCon! What a good time that was! I'm going to try and get some more work done later.

Latest posts

Back