1/32nd Hurricane MK1

Chris S

Its a bit like being handcuffed to a lunatic !
Hi folks :)

Im just getting this thread started now ,I wont be starting on the build for a few days yet .
This is a build I have wanted to do for quite some time ,I always had a love for the Hurricane ,the real workhorse during the Battle of Britain ,truth be told there was a lot more of these in the air than the Spitfire ,I like Spits too ,but prefer the Hurricane .I've been planning this one for a few years now ,and feel the time is right to have a go at it :)...I've got the urge ::)

Until recently the old Revell kit was the only available 1/32nd scale kit of the Hurricane ,now Pacific coast models have release one too .But seeing as I have the Revell kit ,this will be the basis for my build . It was originally released back in 1971 ,then re-released in 2009 ...when I eventually got one ;D.

DSCF4713.jpg

Although this is a very old kit it is actually very correct scale dimension wise ,however the detail leaves a lot to be desired and there are a few other problems to correct ,the most notable one is that the box says its a Mk1 but what you get in the box is a MK1 fuselage with MKIIc wings & spinner ,but its easy to correct the wings ,just need to remove the cannons and re drill for the correct type and remove the wing bulges ,the spinner can be sanded to the correct shape too .
The biggest jobs will be .....

Scratchbuilt cockpit
Scratchbuilt wheel wells
All raised detail ...panel lines/rivets etc to be removed and rescribed

Simples huh !! ???

If you havent seen this kit ,here's a sample of what needs to be removed ....infact the only detail that will remain is the stringered rear fuselage as it is nearly bang on ,just needing a few adjustments .

DSCF4714.jpg

I will get some sprue pics up to show what Im starting with ,this is going to be a loooong term project with lots of work ,but should be a lot of fun . :)

Thanks for looking.

Chris.

;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
Can hardly wait. But what about your neglected German float plane?

Dont worry Jason ,once the Dauntless is done the Arado will be moving over here and I will be moving on with it ,the Hurri is long term so I wont be at it all the time ;)

Chris.

Sorry if I'm sounding a little like a broken record Chris.

Hey I just noticed the box art is for a machine gun armed fighter, are those cannon armed wings in your detail picture? There is a ton of stuff you could do here, like a wooden two blade prop, or metal three blade. Big project considering the scratching you mentioned.

MMmmm ::) Not enough to do? LOL!!! Keep it going Chris!!! Count me in to follow along!!! ;)

Glorfindel ,nice to have you along ;)

Jason ,yes as I mentioned in the text ,the kit has the wrong wings ,the wings in the kit are for a MKIIc which has the cannons ,these need removed along with the bulges in the wing .....and yes ,there are lots of different ideas for the Hurricane :)

T ,thanks bro ...yip I got plenty to do ;D but you know what its like when you've been planning a build for a long time and then get to the point that you just NEED to start it ;D ;D ;D ,but like I say it will be loooong term and I wont be at this one all the time ...just between things ::) ;)

Chris.

Hi folks ,

I had a bit of a play with the Hurri this evening . I wanted to see how hard ..or easy it was going to be to remove the surface detail ,turns out it comes of very easy with a bit of 800 grade wet & dry .

I started with one side of the nose ,On the real Hurricane the nose is actually quite clean with only the panels and fixing screws really being visible as can been seen on this MK1

hurrinose.jpg

But what you get in the kit is ....well ,its just ugly ,and there's a whole mess of overdone rivets to be removed along with the raised panel lines .....

DSCF4719.jpg

So ...armed with some wet & dry I started on one side ,it sanded down nicely ,much to my suprise and in minutes all the detail from the cockpit ..forward was gone ,so I had a go at rescribing the panel lines .Its a good idea to do one side at a time ,this way you can take measurements of the other side if you're not sure where the panels go ,a good set of scale drawings is handy too .

I've left the sanding dust in the lines so they show up in the pics ,there's a few light scratches were the blade slipped the odd time ,but they will be sorted once a coat of primer goes on and it gets a rub down ,they are only surface deep .

DSCF4720.jpg

Im a lot happier knowing the detail will come off with ease ,thats the only part that was worrying me to be honest ...looking forward to this now ;D

Thanks for looking, Questions & comments welcome .

Chris.

:eek: Wow Chris that looks like hard work. I think that would give me a massive headache. but I'm defiantly feeling warm and fuzzy with Hurri love lol

This would be a long run, Chris!!!

a few bits and pieces would not hurt as long its movin in the Hangar ;D

Wow, Chris I'm blown away with the difference of the detail on the model to the pic of the real thing. I can't believe someone actually approved that work. I suddenly feel more at ease knowing that your blade "runs wild" too when scribing. Nice start to this. The cleaning up and scribing of the front fuselage halves look great. Can't wait to see more.

Thanks guys :)

Yeah ..blade slip ..I think it happens to every one ;) but if I clean the dust of you cant even see them ,they're only surface .

Chris.

I didn't think of you as a Masochist !!! LOL A REVELL CLASSIC ... ouchie !!!

Nice work so far.... sanding and polishing those Rivets... out of the way !!! man you have a lot of work in front of you !!!

Hey Norm (((lol))) I thought it was supposed to be fun ;D ...isnt it ? ...right ???

Ok ,the reason I started this project by doing panel lines is simply because if I cant produce an acceptable line then there is no point continuing .However ,I cleaned up the first side and gave it a dust of primer ,when dry I flatted out to see how straight the lines were ??? .....Not too bad actually ,im happy enough to go on ,any little wiggles/scratches can be sorted :)

DSCF4741.jpg

I'll be back once there is someting worth looking at .

Thanks for looking.

Chris.

Thanks Pete. . ...Not sure about brave....stoopid maybe ;D ;D.

Chris.

Now I know where you are hiding, buddy!!! nice work on the panel lines!!!

((lol)) ...Thanks ER , gonna bring the Arado up here later on too :)

Chris.

Latest posts

Back