Working with resin models?

fubar

Hello all, i'm going to be starting work on my first ever resin model soon and thought i'd see if you have any 'tips' for working with resin!

I have already searched around on the web and most of the sites say that resin models need special cleaning preparation to remove releasing agents, can only be glued using CA based glues and painted using acrylics or laquer based paints, which are prone to peeling off if handled to much. :-\

Can you recommend any good cleaning agents to use or primers that will help the paint to stay put?

TTFN Matt

Anything that is a grease remover. Spray 409, Simple Green, Castrol Super Clean.

I find with plastic you can get away with just dishsoap and water....resin (especially the non mainstream stuff) need a little more "oomff" to get the release agent off.

As far as paint....once you get the parts squeaky clean. Shoot with a good primer, and paint as you would a regular styrene part.

In addition to the degreasers Elm mentioned, you can use denatured alcohol from a hardware store to clean resin. Denatured alcohol is not the same as isopropyl (rubbing) alcohol.

You can use expoy or CA to glue together resin. I prefer epoxy since the bond is much stronger.

Most primers should work. My primer of choice is Tamiya's despite the high cost.

Thanks for the help, now i have some idea of what to look for in my hardware store.

Being in the UK i'd never heard of Simple Green so i looked it up on the net......

ROFL @ the video advert ;D

TTFN Matt

i use W5 multi purpos cleaner from Lidl i beleave you have them in the uk. this stuff is Really good. i dump it in a dish with some luke warm water and get an old tooth brush and just scrub, as for Glue Epoxy is best use ca for the brass.

when you mix teh epoxt mix a small ammount at a time because you only have about 5-10min working time, as for primer i use vellajo. then use any paint you want after

Thats sweet info mate many thanks. ;D

Lidl here i come....i may pick up a few snacks at the same time. :p

TTFN Matt

Here is a video I made a year ago about preparing resin parts for assembly and painting.

Resin parts have a mold release agent that causes paint to not apply properly to the surface of the plastic. Bleach or alcohol can be used to clean the parts, but remove the parts from any excess resin that is not needed.

How to prepare resin parts for assembly and painting

Matt :)

Bzzymatt said:
Resin parts have a mold release agent that causes paint to not apply properly to the surface of the plastic. Bleach or alcohol can be used to clean the parts, but remove the parts from any excess resin that is not needed.

It's not always mold release. I don't use any release agent on any of my molds and my parts come out of the molds just fine. Sometimes it's just the resin's natural oils still leeching out as the part continues to cure even after it's out of the mold.

Latest posts

Back