Is resin toxic? How toxic? Which measures to be taken?

luisito8m

Hello guys, small question bugging me:

I just ordered a Grey Knight Warhammer 40k Set, and according to some people, they say that those sprues were made with resin and that I should be aware of its toxicity.

The problem is that I do not know how toxic they are, and what precautions I need to take when sanding them down, etc.. There is a dude on youtube that says that resin toxicity has no comparison even with thinners and mineral spirits, glues, etc... so I am now a little concerned about the loved ones at home and myself once I get started on them.

Any ideas guys?

Thanks!
Luis

The largest danger from the resin is inhaling the dust from sanding it.
And, on something as small as most of Citadel's figures, that shouldn't be too much of a worry

Yeah, it is the resin dust you have to worry about.

If you can, sand it outside, and just wear a dust mask...same as you would if you were sanding say a freshly crackfilled wall, getting it ready for paint.

The other option is to wet sand. Keep a small bowl of water and paper towels at your work bench and dip your sandpaper/sanding sticks/files and/or your parts in the water every now and then. The water absorbs the sanding dust AND keeps your sandpaper/tools clean! It also keeps the sanding dust off the part so you can see what you're doing.

Ziz said:
The other option is to wet sand. Keep a small bowl of water and paper towels at your work bench and dip your sandpaper/sanding sticks/files and/or your parts in the water every now and then. The water absorbs the sanding dust AND keeps your sandpaper/tools clean! It also keeps the sanding dust off the part so you can see what you're doing.

This is how I deal with it, helps keep the house clean too!

I have a full filtered face mask which i also use for those rare occasions when i fire up my airbrush (no space or money for a proper extraction cabinet), i do also wet sand some times.

TTFN

Like everyone says : avoid breathing the dust , but this applies to sanding everything .
Cured synthetic resins are biologically inert but some people can develop contact allergies regardless .
Uncured resin exposure can cause skin reactions or worse . It will of course depend on the person and will normally take repeated contact with uncured resin .
Here's a link to West Epoxy's health info http://www.westsystem.com/ss/health-effects-from-overexposure-to-epoxy/
Casting resins ,' fiberglass ' polyester resin , 'epoxy' etc are in the same family .
I wouldn't worry much :) ,, common sense will keep you safe . Don't eat the stuff .. :p

Latest posts

Back