Help with Citadel Finecast

fubar

Hello all, i am using my first Citadel Finecast figure and have a problem with it.
As you can see from the picture the models melee weapon is bent forwards instead of straight, i did try to straighten it by just gently bending it but this finecast stuff is soooo soft it just springs back into its original position.
20130609_223639.jpg
I understand that the finecast range are apparently resin, could i possibly warm that part of the model in some warm water and then bend it into its correct position without damaging it?

Cant say im too impressed with the overall quality of the model, plenty of flash, poor fitting parts and lots of blow holes too.....much prefer the old metal figures they used to do!

Thanks in advance for any help.

TTFN

You are absolutely right.

Hot water allows you to reset resin. From making blades straight to bending legs. It will not affect your model as long as you do it right.

I believe that 3-5 seconds is enough time to make resin soft.

Please follow this video, and watch it more than once before trying. It is not too hard, but the models are expensive.

Foward to 4:42 minutes. It stops at 6:00 minutes.

(I am big fan of that channel, glad I remembered which video and what time exactly to find it)

Lets Make: Cataphracti Terminators

Luis

Many thanks for the help.....will let you know how it turns out! :)

TTFN Matt

fubar said:
Many thanks for the help.....will let you know how it turns out! :)

TTFN Matt

Definitely looking foward for your update ;D

By the way, I am new to Warhammer and all that jazz, wondering if you could answer me a question I posted on the same forum section as this post. It is about resin citadel models.

Thanks in advance!
Luis

It can apparently be reshaped with hot water, however it isn't a usual "resin" in model terms...

If you like, Google "Failcast" and just see how many and how wide the issues with it have been from lack of supply in volume to meet demand to really poor quality figures getting out past an apparently non-existent QA...

Personally, I keep an eye on E-bay for metal OOP for anything I would have liked to add to my collection... of so much stuff that it most likely will never get painted. ::)

Yes the more i talk to other players the more i miss the older metal figures, i have also started browsing eBay for metal minis and extras that i think i may want/need in the future....some great bargains, as long as you dont mind stripping paint, as some people just think they are old toys to get rid of fast. Got a Rhino, Attack Bike (metal) and a land speeder all for just £8!!! ;D

Next on my wish list though is some of the Forge World Heresy Terminator kits so i may have to brave resin once again. ::)

TTFN

I particularly do not like metal figures, nor resin.

With resin, I feel like it will simply crack anytime. I wonder if with a combination of time+temperature the figures start to bend or twist. But I think that resin allows for high detailing.

With metal, the paint chipping is just annoying and if you drop a figure, the pieces come apart; honestly I have always hated the horrible and weak bonds that glues for metal give. The good thing, is the weight, nothing like a sturdy painted figure.

Either way you go, it is a trade of of something you like and something you definitely bare to live with. Haha.

Hopefully one day, they come up with something new and better. ;D

Luis

Yeah finecast is not a very successful material. I've painted a number of finecast minis now, and they often have big problems with air bubbles, miscasts and awful mold lines. It does seem like the miniatures have crisp, fine details though. But they're fragile and its ridiculously overpriced. Good luck fixing it!

Edit: Also worth noting games workshop has very good customer service and will likely replace defective models like yours. Give their customer service number a call. I bought a model kit with a large base that was warped out of shape, and they mailed me a free one no questions asked.

Cave_Dweller said:
Edit: Also worth noting games workshop has very good customer service and will likely replace defective models like yours. Give their customer service number a call. I bought a model kit with a large base that was warped out of shape, and they mailed me a free one no questions asked.

Second that! A friend of mine had a kit that was missing the entire body, the box only had the head, legs, arms, etc and he didn't even bother to open it; He called GW and they not only sent him a new box but when my friend asked if they needed proof of the kit he had or if he had to ship the faulty unit to them, their response was, "Don't worry, we don't need one, as a matter of fact, keep the old kit to try new techniques". They only thing they ask for is the batch no. for their records, but even if you throw away the box and don't have the batch no, they would only say "Don't worry, we got you covered".

They are aware of the crazy issues they have with resin, but makes me wonder, if they will ever fix their not so reliable manufacturing process.

Metal was substituted by resin... I would even prefer plastic to resin at this point, honestly.

Luis

luisito8m said:
Cave_Dweller said:

Second that! A friend of mine had a kit that was missing the entire body, the box only had the head, legs, arms, etc and he didn't even bother to open it; He called GW and they not only sent him a new box but when my friend asked if they needed proof of the kit he had or if he had to ship the faulty unit to them, their response was, "Don't worry, we don't need one, as a matter of fact, keep the old kit to try new techniques". They only thing they ask for is the batch no. for their records, but even if you throw away the box and don't have the batch no, they would only say "Don't worry, we got you covered".

They are aware of the crazy issues they have with resin, but makes me wonder, if they will ever fix their not so reliable manufacturing process.

Metal was substituted by resin... I would even prefer plastic to resin at this point, honestly.

Luis

Yeah top notch customer service. And their plastic kits are all awesome, haven't had one problem aside from the warped base. Really nice plastic kits, I just wish they would get rid of finecast and do everything in plastic.

I'm a metal fan all the way 8)

The plastics have come a long way as they have got more experience, however if one compares the better scale model kits and the detail manufacturers like Tamiya can do, GW arn't anywhere near this decade in the quality of their plastics for vehicles or infantry...

don't get me wrong, I've always (apart from the odd appalling design concept) liked GW stuff from the time I bought RTB01 marines a month or two after they were released. 8)

Latest posts

Back