[WIP] Ferengi Marauder AMT Adversary Set

Igard said:
Jmac, the Ferengi didn't appear in 'Encounter at Farpoint'. Their first appearance was 'The Last Outpost'. You're just testing me aren't you? ;)

Sorry, first season blur happening - colour me embarrassed. ::)
Great job on the Marauder anyways.

JMac

Great work, looks far larger than it's size!

One thing you can try for the yellow tint, take some of that Krystal Klear and mix a bit of it with yellow food coloring. I would experiment with it before adding to the model, but I bet it will work just fine.

JMac said:
Sorry, first season blur happening - colour me embarrassed. ::)
Great job on the Marauder anyways.

JMac

That's OK. I almost didn't pick up on it. First season was a bit of a blur, not Treks finest. Thanks Jmac. :)

Thank you Ace, Q and Grendels.

Grendels, that sounds like the perfect solution. I'll give it a try.

A couple of examples of my impatience for you :-

First of all, I forgot to go to the supermarket for yellow food colouring. So, I had a choice, go get some the next day, or skip it and glue the hulls together right there and then. Well, since I'd have preferred to have used coloured Krystal Klear from the start, rather than putting the coloured layer on top of the one already there, I decided it was a leason to learn for another day.

Feel kinda bad about that. Maybe like I was just too lazy to work out the solution. Maybe I just don't care about this model enough to add another day to its construction. I don't really know.

Second thing, I was drilling the hole in the top of the base. I was going at full speed because the acrylic is pretty tough to get through. I could tell that I was getting through it really fast and I knew I should've slowed down. Well this is the result, a nice big crack.

12072011227.jpg

I've got an idea though for covering it up. Notice that the base is pretty big. I could just stick a great big Ferengi insignia on top.

Sorry to hear about the base cracking.
A Ferengi insignia would be a good touch for covering it

It's Ok, only myself to blame.

I'm thinking of placing the insignia on a slip of gold-pressed latinum. ;D

I've made 2 strips of gold pressed-latinum about 1/3 scale I would say. I've just got one more to scribe the text on, then I get to paint them!

This was really good practice at scratchbuilding plastic parts. For each I used 2, 1mm thick styrene and stuck them back to back. Then put 2 small wedge shaped pieces on opposite ends. 2 thin strips of styrene along the tops. Then scribed (not very well) the Ferengi text. It doesn't really look like Ferengi text, but that's just another area to improve on.

These should stack up around the cracked area nicely.

13072011230.jpg

That's really cool, it will look great with the marauder.

JMac

Who knows ferengi text? So how would anyone know it was done poorly? I say it looks good!

This is a great build that i have just stumbled across. Glad you have taken the time to share it.

The lighting on the ship has came out really well.

Unlucky with the base but the strips of latinum will really set the base off and cover the crack nicely.

Good Job!

Thanks all. :)

Grendels said:
Who knows ferengi text? So how would anyone know it was done poorly?

The Grand Nagus would know, of course! ;D

You're right of course, and I'm not too concerned. Actually, my brother thought it looked a bit Klingon. I haven't scribed the 3rd one yet, so I'm gonna try and make it look more accurate, though I can't fit all the text on at this size.

Here's the ref I'm using :- http://www.trekprops.de/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2009/10/latinum_5827.jpg

Shiny! :)

Those latinum strip will do the job nicely, a fitting "plaque" for a Ferengi vessel

I'm rich! Rich, I tell you! MAHHAAAA!!! ;D

17072011232.jpg

In the below pic, you can see I was a bit heavy handed on the dry brushing. Would liked to have done a better job with the initial hole cutting. But I'm delighted with how the colour turned out.

17072011234.jpg

The ventral hull has been weathered about right I would say. I used Magic Sculp to fill the big seam line. My first time using it (can't find Aves in the UK except from ebay).

17072011233.jpg

The grooves in the engine don't exactly match up. I think if I were to do this over, I would cut out all the engine and make my own. Little bit heavy on the Krystal Klear. I also used Magic Sculp here.

17072011236.jpg

The Ferengi text here says, 'Power On -' and 'Power Off'. The plaque is made out of gold-pressed latinum, of course. ;)

17072011237.jpg

17072011239.jpg

17072011245.jpg

17072011246.jpg

17072011247.jpg

17072011238.jpg

And that's it. Hope you enjoyed following me on this one. I learned a bit more from this, like I should have more confidence in my scratchbuilding abilities, and I should take my time more and not rush things (still working on that one).

Paint-wise, I think I'm happy with mixing paints and getting the right results I want. I need more practice with weathering, and I have something planned for my next build that should be a good excercise in painting some good old muckiness!

Good Job!!!
You've taken a rather un-remarkable kit and made it very special!
That's what I enjoy doing.
I kind of refer to it as "Turd Polishing". ;D
As opposed to taken a top notch kit with a bajillion pieces, and not being able to have the build live up to the kit's potential....If that makes any sense.
All your work really shows nicely here, and as you say, you have learned some things, and your next experience will be even better!
Thanx for sharing!

Thanks guys. :)

ModelMakerMike said:
I kind of refer to it as "Turd Polishing". ;D

An apt expression and it certainly applies here. I never liked this design and building it hasn't really improved my opinion of it, but it was great to do something different with the base and I did learn alot.

Latest posts

Back