DOMED CITY (1:160 scale) WIP

Peter54

1/160 is N scale (or close enough)?

Should have lots of good fodder for buildings and trains with N Scale stuff

1/160 is N scale (or close enough)?

Should have lots of good fodder for buildings and trains with N Scale stuff
Yes, with N scale.
I am still uncertain about the fodder.
Trains? well I may get a tram in the dome. But what I want to do is to buy the train's motor and chassis and create my own bodies for them.

I figure there are a bunch of power plant, tanks, and industrial kits that might make for some cool sci fi kit bashes
things like power susbtations and transformers etc...
Thanks for sharing your ideas about these kits.

While waiting for the dome and an acrylic sheet to arrive, I decided to play around with the possibilities of creating different modules. As you know, the dome sits on a PVC pipe, and the pipe gets to be inserted into a diorama tabletop. This insertion can be used for all sorts of modules from the ground up. The possibilities are endless.

SFDom-01-plan-modules-1.png

You know , scale model food is a thing in Japan .
I was perplexed by it when I stumbled across the offerings at Hobby Link Japan years ago .

The dome arrived today; huge, clean, crystal clear, without a single scratch. I am impressed.
SFDom-04-acrylic dome-600mm.jpg
I took some measurements of the actual product and quickly packed it up again for when it's time to crown the dome diorama.

Finally chosen the dimensions to use for the space (Business Area) under the dome platform. The 40mm clearance ought to be large enough for a grand hall as well as to see things inside that space.
The dome itself will only be resting on its platform. And the platform will be 'keyed' to rest on top of its walls and pillars. Both are removable to gain easy access to both dome and Business Centre areas.
010- DOME BUSINESS CENTRE.png
011- DOME ACCESSIBILITY.png

Last edited:
The larger Business Centre changes the overall appearance of the domed city.

008- DOME MODULE IDEA.png

Also will include alignment screws to square the structure. I may not need them, but it's better to install them before assembling that part of the framework.
009- DOME MODULE RECEPTOR.png

016- LP IDEAS.jpg

I plan to use a 7-segment display clocking circuit to give a somewhat random looking display of LEDs.
Here I am determining how often certain LEDs are on during a count from 0-9.
017- LP-7 LED SEGMENT DISPLAY.jpg

The landing platform 'panels' will be Illuminated by coloured LEDs.
Here are some ideas that came to mind...
017- LP-7SEG IDEAS.jpg

Replacing the 7-segment display for ordinary LEDs. In the below example I would be using 4 x 7 coloured LEDs for the larger panels. And using rectangular LEDs for the 1-10 LED sequencing towards the centre round LED.

017- LP-7SEG.jpg

I think you should ask a helicopter pilot what they think about those first , lol .
You want them to land , not crash into a mesmerizing light show . ;) :D

Concentric rings cascading inward would be cool --- but that's definitely boring compared to those other proposals .

They would be using other resources for guiding a landing, even without requiring visual. AI takes all the fun out of it.
Besides, models are just eye candy for us creative types... it doesn't have to be practical (though it helps) to look good.

Latest posts

Back