[WIP] Ferengi Marauder AMT Adversary Set

Igard

This is the next model from the AMT Adversary set.

The D'kora class Ferengi Marauder was supposedly an equal to the Galaxy Class in strength.

I think it looks like 2 croissants stuck together, but never mind.

There are 4 clear plastic parts for this, and just enough room inside to fit some 3mm LEDs.

29052011158.jpg

Cut out some of the sections for the clear parts. There are 2 very small sections in the front that no clear part was supplied for. I'm just going to try some Micro Krystal Klear on these.

06072011216.jpg

Here she is primed and with all the window holes drilled out. Haven't counted, but there must be over 50 windows. Took a few weeks to get to this stage as it wasn't the most enjoyable process.

More soon....

Nice work. The drudgery of repetitive tasks is forgotten when she's painted and the switch for lights is thrown. Judging by your preliminary work, this model will look really great when finished!!

Thanks guys. Was hoping to get some more pics by now, but the base colour is giving me problems. Think I've got it now.

A few wonky windows here and there, but I could feel myself improving alot as I got more used to it. I think using a template is always recommended for this kind of thing, but with the small size and curved surface, wasn't really viable.

Paint should be drying soon....

EDIT: Ok, the main hulls and the clear parts are dry, but had some trouble with the torpedo launcher.

I haven't stuck the clear parts on yet, just placed them.

The base colour should be a sort of reddish, orangy, brown. I'm not going to try and match the studio model, but instead, go for a more 'screen accurate' look.

06072011218.jpg

DOUBLE EDIT: Oh, yes, I used the marker to draw each window (about 4 or 5 at a time) rather than just laying into it with my hand drill.

Color looks pretty close for me.
A little highlighting should bring it in just fine

Thanks guys.

I've got the windows and some of the other areas filled with Krystal Klear. However , the engines that circle around the back of the ship (those little grooves) aren't so easy to do.

If I can't get them filled with KK, then I'll have to try some clear resin on them. The method would be to put the 2 hulls flat on top of a flat smooth surface, like a sheet of metal, or even styrene/acetate. Then, just fill the gaps with some low viscosity resin.

Or, I could try leaving them until the 2 hulls are joined together. Then the KK would be able to cover them. That could be messy though.

Hmmm... I've got some thinking to do on this.

Cheers all.

Tin-foiled the inards.

08072011220.jpg

Just trying to show some of the light through the clear parts. It actually looks like there are some white gaps on the orange clear parts, but it's only the camera that picks them up. I think this could just be the colour of the light or the brightness.

The Krystal Klear worked just fine on the curved engine exhausts.

08072011221.jpg

Thanks Q and Grendels. I think I'll put a little bit more clear orange on those parts, just to make sure it's got a really vibrant glow to it.

Hopefully get the wiring started tonight, but, unfortunately I'll not get as much done as I'd like. I've got to go to work tomorrow (Saturday). :'(

Finally get a chance again. Wiring was tricky. I'm using a heat shrink tube that's too big, so I probably should have just used electrical tape. Bit of a tight fit, but it'll work.

11072011222.jpg

I used some BondLoc plastic weld to keep the wires in place. A bit messy. Now some light tests....

11072011223.jpg

11072011225.jpg

11072011224.jpg

I'm wondering if I should have filled the windows more with Micro KK. At an angle, the light isn't visible. More KK means more refraction, right? Something to consider there.

THATS WICKED!

Reminds me of "Encounter at Farpoint". I like the design of the Ferengi Marauder, didn't much care for portrayal of the Ferengi as a Star Trek non-alien however.

Thanks Mike, Jmac and Fumblethumbs. :)

Wasn't sure what to do with the windows, Mike. They should actually be yellow, but I don't have any clear yellow paint for them. I don't know if I'll risk colouring them with a light coat of clear orange. Maybe thinned out a bit. Might look really uneven.

Jmac, the Ferengi didn't appear in 'Encounter at Farpoint'. Their first appearance was 'The Last Outpost'. You're just testing me aren't you? ;)

I hated them in that episode, but later came to realise that they actually represent our present day human civilization. That gave them alot of great develpment, especially during the DS9 series.

I still think the Marauder looks like 2 croissants stuck together. :-\

Fumblethumbs, that would be great to see what you come up with. I can't bring myself to do the Warbird anytime soon. Must improve with certain aspects of my skills before I can do it justice.

Latest posts

Back