Whats needed for weathering?

fubar

OK i need a little advice here please if poss.

I'm working on a tank model, so far i have base coated and highlighted it using Lifecolor acrylics.

IMG_1233.jpg

As you can see next i want to add maybe a wash to blend it a little and i also bought some AK enamel weathering sets that i really would like to try out.

IMG_1109.jpg

I have been looking at loads of vids on youtube and i'm a little lost as to how to proceed. Some videos say to coat the model first in a gloss varnish so the washes run easily while others say to use a matt varnish, some say to use acrylic varnish while others say to use an enamel varnish???? Thing is my base coat is acrylic but the wash will be an oil and the AK weathering are enamels, am i supposed to use both types. :eek:

Help. I've seen so many youtube vids i'm totally confused as to what i should do next. lol

TTFN Matt

First off, you really want to finish a few things before you start your weathering. You should add your markings if you are going to, as those should be weathered just like the rest of the vehicle. Nothing looks more 'off' than clean bright markings on a dirty tank. If you are putting decals like stars and such, those should be put on next.

I would also consider your tools. If you are painting them you want to get that done as well, like metal for the tool heads and wood for the handles. (if you are planning to paint them) You should really paint the tires on the road wheels at this stage as well before weathering. Maybe even the .50 cal.

The whole 'seal the decals with future' thing is really up to you, it's something that I feel got posted on the internet and then spread like a virus. It isn't absolutely needed and not nearly as important as the web will have you believe. I've used it and I've also done entire models full of decals and never used it. The 'gloss surface for washes to flow' etc. is another really over exaggerated internet fallacy and in fact, can often times work against you with the weathering as it is just far to smooth and slippery. Sometimes youtube can be very helpful, other times it just serves to confuse us.

AK Interactive products actually perform better on a matte or satin finish as they have some tooth to them, gloss is too slippery. Because they are enamel, there is no need to seal the acrylic as they shouldn't have any effect on one another.

I would focus on finishing the detail painting of the items mentioned above before weathering, and at the very most, apply a satin varnish over the decals after complete.

HTH

Thanks for the reply mate, i had planned on doing the detail painting before weathering....in fact i'd already started it. ;D

IMG_1241.jpg

But i hadn't thought of the decals, good job you mentioned it ot it would have looked really odd just like you say. lol

I have a can of matt acrylic varnish so i'll cover the model in that then try some weathering. I do have some klear/future but still not sure about that going through my new AB.....do you seal each layer of weathering as they use thinners and surely will affect the previous enamel wash!?!?

TTFN Matt

I have been looking at loads of vids on youtube and i'm a little lost as to how to proceed

you would be much better off looking at the AK website.. they have videos/tutorals and even a forum.
youtube is a vast repository of good info and bad info... and lots of the later

Latest posts

Back