What the heck is this?

fblanton

Brothers in Styrene, What in the world is this vehicle? My cousin Lumpy Davis emailed me these pics. I have never seen this half truck-half tank-halftrack before. I think he got them from wikipedia.

DAK_PZ_Selbstfahrlafette_II.jpg

PZ_Selbstfahrlafette_II.jpg

Frank Blanton

Why that is a car tank thingy of course. ;D

I don't know but maybe it was experimental or someone is good with photo shop. Doesn't make sense to me to have wheels in front of a tank. But then again I'm certainly not an expert of military vehicles.

looks like a prototype of some kind but looking at the first picture the guys looks like the are Afrika corps.

I'd post these in the Axis DG of Missing Lynx, you'll probably get the answer there.

Oh, this is an easy one. It's a Maybach engined Sd.Kfz. 172, "Zweifelhaft". It was manufactured by Krupp.

FRANK,

In Other words it's a Panzer Selbtsfahrlafette II 7,5 cm Kanone L/41 auf Zugkraftwagen 5t (HKP 902)

Here's a better explanation - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pz.Sfl._II
So it's similar to having a Panzer II Upper Chassis with a 75mm Gun sitting on a 5t Half Track - with th Engine being mounted in th Rear of th Vehicle !!

Also since it's a prototype & th question was put forth on MIssing Lynx ... It's almost a Guarantee that Cyberhobby/Dragon wil come out with one now .... ;D

I didn't mean to trump ya' Ken ,but I came across this thread & looked on M.L. & posted .... hope that's cool ???

panzerace007 said:
I didn't mean to trump ya' Ken ,but I came across this thread & looked on M.L. & posted .... hope that's cool ???

LOLWUT?

You did exactly what I said to do, post it on ML Axis DG and get the answers from the guys who know what they are talking about.

I didn't say I was going to, I said I'd... in other words, "that's what I would do if I was interested in knowing but considering I'm not and don't go to the axis DG on ML because they don't talk about olive drab in there, I think that would be your best bet to get an informed answer from knowledgeable dudes who obsess over Axis stuff..."

;D

Ah Yes .... I see .... It only took 10 minutes before I has a Hit ! ... I wish I could Fish like that !!!

Well I know you're not accustomed to being in there .... I could go in there with ya & introduce ya to everybody ! ;D

panzerace007 said:
It only took 10 minutes before I has a Hit !

Of course, and a lot of people there know their stuff.

Although now you can probably sit back and watch the thread spiral into some long winded, ego driven argument between a bunch of people who probably don't even build models, about who made them, what color they were, where they were fielded... blah blah blah... ::)

panzerace007 said:
I could go in there with ya & introduce ya to everybody !

Thanks but nah, I'm good right here. ;D

ScaleModelMadman said:
panzerace007 said:
It only took 10 minutes before I has a Hit !

Although now you can probably sit back and watch the thread spiral into some long winded, ego driven argument between a bunch of people who probably don't even build models, about who made them, what color they were, where they were fielded... blah blah blah... ::)

;D ;D ;D You know that Forum too Well .... are you sure you haven't been in there ? ;D It's true !! Go look at it. ... They are probably still talkin about it. Between th fact that It might be Photoshopped to Who makes a kit of it .... Although I just walked in ther & Threw Fuel on th fire & ASked What Color it was - Judging from th Picture ..... That's guaranteed to really make it Spiral out of Control !! ;D ;D

Splashcoat said:
Oh, this is an easy one. It's a Maybach engined Sd.Kfz. 172, "Zweifelhaft". It was manufactured by Krupp.
And that, Ladies & Gentlemen, is the sound of a joke falling flat... cue the sardonic trombone. :-\

SPLASH,

You joke did not fall on Deaf Ears !! lol ! I actually googled your Veh. Des. & it translated it !! That's was th Crux , Doubtful .. well now I 've learned some German !

Cheers ! I chuckle at that now !

ScaleModelMadman said:
Of course, and a lot of people there know their stuff.

LOL! i see websites like that all the time, go there and people know they think everything, then they get proven wrong and there is a big toss and fight over who was right!

OK...asked my friend whom usually is an expert on all things WWII German, and even he had to look it up in his vast library of books on German Armor, and surprisingly enough the few pictures he had were different than these, so he was quite intrigued.

Anyway, this is what he sent me as an explanation to what they were.

Okay, I have found it.
It is a Panzer Selbstfahrlette II auf Fahrgestell m Zugkraftwagen 5t.
That has to be the longest name I've ever seen!
In any case, it was also known as the Bussing-NAG HKp 902, after the manufacturer of the half-track chassis.
Part of a 1934-1940 program to develop a heavy, self propelled anti tank gun, the original prototypes had a complete half track chassis/body, where these ones had an armored superstructure similar to a panzer tank.
Only 3 of the first type were built, while 4 of these babies were finished, two of which were sent to North Africa, which fits perfectly with the first photo, which really looks like the desert. One of the others was found at war's end with an armored command post built on it, for controlling V2 missile launches.
This info, and some crappy pictures, all from my Encyclopedia of German Tanks of WWII, by Chamberlain & Doyle, which also covers half tracks, armored cars, etc.

Interesting vehicle!

Latest posts

Back