Vallejo acrylic's in an airbrush

ulvdemon

Everyone,
I've been getting a good handle on using Model Master acrylic's through my airbrush set up, and for the build I am working on, I may need to use the colors from the Vallejo line. Has anyone had any issues using these products through their airbrushes?

If you use Vallejo air it goes straigt in your AB no problem, Vallejo model needs to be tinned with water a little also works great.

Try on a scrap piece 1st to make sure :)

GL

I would advise against using water to thin your Model Color paints, as this has an effect on paint adhesion as you are literally just watering down the paint.

Better off to pick up Vallejo's Airbrush Thinner. It is designed to thin the paint, without reducing the adhesion of the paint. 3 parts thinner to 1 part Model Color, and Bob's your uncle.

As far as Model Air goes, it should be good to go out of the bottle, but a couple of drops of AB thinner in your paint cup will always help a little with it, tends to cut the surface tension of the paint a bit...something plain water won't do.

And make sure you use the Vallejo brand thinner. I tried X-20A thinner with Model Color, and it just made a gooey mess in my paint cup.

I also use Vellejo thinner. But Vellejo does say you can also use distilled water since the paint is water based to begin with.

dkev said:
I also use Vallejo thinner. But Vallejo does say you can also use distilled water since the paint is water based to begin with.

Ahh yes, for brush painting, but not for airbrushing the Model Color (or Model Air for that matter)

Water is fine if you are just brushing the paint on, but for airbrushing, water just dilutes the paint rather than thinning it and ends up weakening the bond of the paint to plastic, which is why you hear so many people complaining that the paint doesn't stick well because they used water to thin it for airbrushing.

Thinner is designed to thin the paint (rather than diluting it), helps with the paint to plastic bond, adds a little retarder so you don't get as much tip dry, and as well it breaks the surface tension of the paint, and you end up with a much smoother finish.

No substitute for the brands own thinner no matter what paint you are using.

i never had any issue with paint adhering to a model if i use water to thin them. but if you thin it to 70/30 then that wouldnt be very good :D

Attempted to use the vallejo paint in my airbrush. I am going to chalk it up to user error. I put in more thinner than paint and it still would not go through my airbrush. Then again, I was using the Vallejo Model color line, not the Model Air. ;D

ulvdemon said:
Attempted to use the vallejo paint in my airbrush. I am going to chalk it up to user error. I put in more thinner than paint and it still would not go through my airbrush. Then again, I was using the Vallejo Model color line, not the Model Air. ;D

I use Vallejo Model in my airbrush very often, thinned 1/3 no problem at all....there has to be some other issue

What are you using for thinner?

I find with the new Vallejo AB thinner, 3 parts thinner to 1 part paint (Model Color), and you are good to go, never had a problem with it.

Elm City Hobbies said:
What are you using for thinner?

I find with the new Vallejo AB thinner, 3 parts thinner to 1 part paint (Model Color), and you are good to go, never had a problem with it.

Totally agree. This is approximately the ratio of thinner to paint I use. I use Vallejo paints and thinners exclusively, (for health reasons). I have had (one model) where the paint did not adhere properly - turned out to be an error on my part, the paint was an old bottle and I hadn't mixed it enough...gave it a really good mixing and problem solved.

A few other tips I might suggest;

As you're spraying stop occasionally and clean the tip of your airbrush, I use a cotton swab dipped in Vallejos airbrush cleaner. Also I've a few different brands of airbrushes all with different nozzle / needle sizes, it is my experience that the thinned Vallejo Model Colour requires a larger nozzle than say thinned Tamiya or Model Master. I generally stick to a 0.3 nozzle with no problems - not saying smaller can't be done, just that I have way better success using a 0.3 over smaller nozzles. Finally I tend to spray the Vallejo at a higher pressure than some other thinned paints (typically in the 15-25 psi range, depending on the type of painting that I'm doing).

Jason

Currently using a Paasche H single action airbrush. It did push the paint some, but then it clogged. I did end up using more thinner then paint, but I am so used to using Model Master which for me requires a more paint/thinner ratio, I figured I was messing something up.

If you're using a siphon feed, you might have to thin the paint more, (or maybe try using a higher pressure). I typically use a gravity feed.

Some of these have been covered but I would check the following.
Ab is clean, changing paint types can cause the ab to clog.
I always run a couple of drops of the appropriate thinner through before adding the paint.
Model air can go through neat but a lil thinner helps flow and lessens tip dry, thinner into cup, then paint and bl ckflow to mix.
The model air metallics can be a little less co operative but a lil bit more thinner and thinner coats help.
Make sure the paint is well shaken, especially the metallics. It's handy to pop a bead or bearing into the bottle. They are cheap at the local craft store.
I spray at about 1bar through a neo with no hassles.

Back