Cheap airbrush musings

papaof2

So I have bought 4 cheap airbrushed to try my hand and see if I can do it. Harbor Freight siphon feed, Spray Gunner No Name, Master Airbrush, and a Neoeco SJ83 both from Bezo's 5 and dime. Used the No Name to primer and color some spoons to decide on which color to use. Worked OK on these small surfaces. Used the No Name for primer on the model and it did OK. Came with a 0.2 needle installed. I was not sure what size to use. Took forever, but was really smooth. Lost the nozzle while cleaning, small as the proverbial hens teeth, but have surmised.0.2 is probably useless for model painting anyway. Used the Master Airbrush for first try at color coat with the factory installed 0.3 needle. Really slow so I switched to the 0.5 needle and was better. When dry color was really splotchy. Not sure if I missed spots or it I was too far away and paint dried before it hit the surface. Quite possibly a little of both. I did two coats Tamiya X11 thinned 50/50 with Mr Color leveling thinner. 25psi airpressure. Decided to let it set overnight and try again the next day. Switched to the Neoeco, 0.5 needle, 18psi pressure, thoroughly stirred the paint as opposed to just shaking, lots of pigment in the bottom. Using pipettes 4 thinner to 3 paint. Used the pipette to mix in the spray cup. Success. Laid down really nice. Lots of coverage quickly. Neoeco puts out a lot of paint in a hurry. Really satisfied with the results. This is in no way meant to praise or disparage any of the airbrushed. At this point even though they are inexpensive units they are far above my ability. Just thought I would share my first airbrush experiences.

Nothing wrong with starting out with cheaper airbrushes to learn. Good testing you did there and I'd say within a year or so, maybe sooner you will start to get the itch to move up the airbrush ladder. I started with a point zero that came with a compressor. If I remember correctly, I think I stuck with that for about a year and a half maybe 2 before I upgraded. Good luck with your airbrushing.

I use a g23 masters airbrush that I have ad for 2 or 3 years, never had a problem with it. I got it from amazon for I think $25. I am about to move up to the improved masters airbrush that is about $125 and the older one just for priming models. The improved one comes with some smaller needles. A total of 5 if memory serves from 0.15 to 0.50.

Some of those issues you mentioned aren't necessarily a result of the brush, but more part of the learning curve with airbrushing.
My first airbrush, which I still use, was a Paasche VL, double-action, siphon-fed brush. Relatively simple design, rugged, easy to use and maintain. The only thing that bothered me a little is the siphon-feed, because the cup is in the way. But the brush does what I need it to do.
I also acquired an Iwata Neo, gifted from a friend in another forum. It's a good brush, too, but it's real advantage over the VL, for me, is that it's gravity-fed, the cup is mounted on top of the brush, so for me, it's out of the way. But it's more technique, experience, that you build as you use a brush. A cheap starter is an OK idea, but over the long run, if the cheap brushes break down or wear out frequently and you have to buy a new one, then in the long run, it's a disadvantage over spending for a quality brush that will last a long time.

I use the Iwata Eclipse with a .35 needle. Never had an issue with it. It sprays Vallejo Air really nice. I use a Master with a .30 needle to prime small parts. Works good.

I couldn't bring myself to read that whole first post. So here is blanket airbrush info.

I love love LOVE airbrushes that have a floating needle seat in them. This means the needle seat is a cone shape that requires no tools to remove or install. This style of needle seat is also easier to clean.

The Iwata Eclipse has this style seat, and it is also an amazing airbrush. I have one with a .35mm needle, and one with a .5mm needle.

I discovered that Paasche has a line of airbrushes with this floating needle seat as well. And that are about 1/3 of the cost of the Eclipse, which is nice. It is thei VL line.

The eclipse runs $160 - $180 depending on where you buy it.
Paasche VL is about $55 - $70 depending where you purchase it.

My current lineup is:
Iwata Eclipse Gravity Feed- .35mm
Iwata Eclipse Gravity Feed- .50mm
Paasche VL Siphon Feed - .71mm
Paasche VL Siphon Feed - 1.06mm

My Paasche airbrushes are specifically for spraying metal flake paint. Like large flake lowrider paint.

Latest posts

Back