Trumpeter 1/35 Jagdpanzer E100

Elm City Hobbies

I will be in for this one. Will be doing the Trumpeter Jagdpanzer E-100

_si_ProductFiles_tsm1596.jpg

Going to hit my buddy up to see if he has any of the German Night Fighting optics....I think they would make a great addition to this kit being a 46+ and since they did have some sets on Tigers, Panters and Tiger IIs late in the war.

Just have to decide on a paint scheme, I want to do something different that you don't normally see.

I am thinking either the Disc Type, like what can be made from the Uschi set, or I have and interesting 'Octopus' camo on one of my tanks in World of Tanks, kind of like this:

kt2.jpg

Only what you see as green is actually Red Brown....looks very cool.

However I did just find this one which is being called German Cobblestone Urban Camo....don't know if it is actually real or not.

e10049.jpg

I was also thinking of maybe scratchbuilding at set of Schirtzen side armor for this tank, however I don't know as if they would have carried something like that, with the big sponson armor that the tank already has....would sort of be redundant I would think. Zimmerit had crossed my mind as well....but then again I have to remember, this isn't a year long build, only Sept to Jan! LOL

Nice choice of kit, i was toying with this one myself, it'll mske a beast of a machine whrn done.

I'll look forward to watching this come together

Very cool subject, man,

I particularly love the "splinter" camo scheme over the Jagdpanther... as yours is his big brother maybe it couldn´t be a very bad idea.

jagdpanther08.jpg

Some more exotic patterns (I believe that the second ones are not real... but they are cool to me ) :

Camo3.jpg

pz6b3d1king_camo.jpg

004iz9.jpg

oh i like the Green and brown lizard style one (in the same pic has the yellow one above)

Bizarre said:
Cobblestone camo looks insane :)

Agreed. Now I’m just itching to try it out myself... :)

Anyway, it’s nice to see another Jagdpanzer E 100. Been a while since I scratchbuild my own – these days, of course, it seems to be easier with full kits available.

Will be following this with interest.

I don't necessarily think the cobblestone one would be that hard to do...just time consuming.

When it comes right down to it for each color it is just paint and mask. Paint the tank the darkest color, apply cobblestone masking for that color, shoot the next color, mask, then the next color mask, and then finally the color between the stones, unmask and viola.

The hard part would be getting the masking done neatly with no bleed under the tape, and as you are doing it, basically laying down the stone masking like you would a floor, got to fit it all together. Not overly hard, just time consuming.

Having said that....I think I will pass on it! LOL I am liking the octopus one, which to me I think is harder just because of the smoke rings of the darker color on the lighter color.

Probably will end up either that scheme (only replacing the green with a German Red Brown color), or the circle camo on the Uschi set.

I had contemplated doing zimmerit, however my WWII German expert friend said that they had pretty much stopped using it by late '44, early '45, so that they likely wouldn't have had it on that many tanks, especially new build tanks in '46 and beyond. Now whether they stopped using it because it wasn't effective, or just that by that time in the war, it was too time consuming to to put on the tanks, time better spent getting the tanks to the front lines.

I also asked him about Shirtzen armor, but as I suspected, they would have either had the armored sponsons you see in the kit, or the Shirtzen armor, but not both, however he told me that the mesh armor (like would be seen on the Jagdpanzer IV L/70 A), but instead of covering the wheels, to cover the armor sides, would look cool. Would have to do a little scratchbuilding for that. Also planning on installing the IR sights on the commander's station. Just got to get me a couple of sprues from Tamiya for that.

i would completely ignore what your friend is telling you because this is 1946+ so all you are thinking of could have been used if Germany was able to keep factory running, So as the man says do what you want and not what others want ;)

Agree on the masking. Not complicated, just time consuming.

Zimmerite was, as I recall, discontinued because of a fear that it might catch on fire. Unfounded as far as I know, but nonetheless... In any case, by that time in the war, surely infantry-carried anti-tank weapons like bazookas would have been a much more severe thread than magnetic mines.

I don’t believe that the E 100 would ever have used skirts. As it was, the current wannabe skirts were just about the best they could do without making the tank too wide. And even with those, they had to be removable for transport by train. That being said, I think some sort of removable skirts would look sweet on that model.

It was phased out because magnetic anti tank mines placed on the hull by hand was surpassed by anti tank weapons that could be shot from a distance. This is why a tank in 46 wouldnt have it. The labor, time and materials needed for something that no longer served a purpose would be wasteful.

Shurtzen was the early version of what you see as slat armor today, it detonates the weapon prior to striking the vehilce itself, greatly reducing its effect. This would make more sense on a late war vehicle.

Now you certainly can do what you like, no doubt but unless there was suddenly a new surge in magnetic ant tank mines placed on the hull by the infantry in 46, and bazookas/panzerfaust became rare or impossible to make, I really cant see it being used again after being deemed obsolete.

spud said:
i would completely ignore what your friend is telling you because this is 1946+ so all you are thinking of could have been used if Germany was able to keep factory running, So as the man says do what you want and not what others want ;)

I realize that it is 46+, but if they stopped using zimmerit in '44 or so because it wasn't effective, they they wouldn't have been using it in '46+. I mean there is an element of "what if" in this GB, but it still has to be some what believable, at least to me.

I mean I can conceivably see F-86 sabres being introduced in '49 or so (first flight of the Sabre was 1950....had they still been at war, I can see them speeding it up and getting it out), or Super Pershings (only one saw combat as it was very late war), etc. but I wouldn't get too far out of wack on what would have been on the battlefields in '46-'50, as it just wouldn't be believable.

IE: No F-4 Phantoms doing strafing runs on a column of German tanks, or no T-62s barreling through Europe.

Ken Abrams said:
It was phased out because magnetic anti tank mines placed on the hull by hand was surpassed by anti tank weapons that could be shot from a distance. This is why a tank in 46 wouldnt have it. The labor, time and materials needed for something that no longer served a purpose would be wasteful.

Shurtzen was the early version of what you see as slat armor today, it detonates the weapon prior to striking the vehilce itself, greatly reducing its effect. This would make more sense on a late war vehicle.

Now you certainly can do what you like, no doubt but unless there was suddenly a new surge in magnetic ant tank mines placed on the hull by the infantry in 46, and bazookas/panzerfaust became rare or impossible to make, I really cant see it being used again after being deemed obsolete.

Yeah, I am thinking some of the mesh Shurtzen for the upper hull sides. Relatively simple to make (least in my head), and would look pretty cool.

I was thinking of the solid metal Shurtzen like was seen on the Stugs and such, but with the armored sponsons on the tank...you wouldn't have both covering the wheels and tracks, plus I think they would have moved on from the solid metal to the mesh type ones....same effect and would add less overall weight to the tank.

Elm City Hobbies said:
IE: No F-4 Phantoms doing strafing runs on a column of German tanks, or no T-62s barreling through Europe.

Oh gee thanks for ruining my plans :p

Latest posts

Back