Tinting clear parts

Junkie

Yo.
Any idea as to the 'best' way to tint clear parts?

I'm thinking a thin coat of Tamiya smoke.

Never tried it but supposedly you can tint future with an acrylic and then dip the part.

Other than that I would GUESS that you could spray it lightly after a dip in future. If it doesn't come out right the future base coat should allow you to remove everything and start over.

Just go real light on the airbrush passes. They are so transparent you will be tempted to build it up too fast.

SCOTT,

I'm lookin' forward to seein' how th Vallejo works. I was gonna suggest some AlClad Smoke, or any one of Their other Transparent colors. .... But I'm interested in seein th Vallejo !!!

I only tried using Clear paints from Tamiya and Humbrol (old ones). Easy to do with small parts but with the big ones it’s harder to obtain evenly tinted surface.
Cheers

Thanks for sharing..... those articles... I had read that a while back... and had lost track of them....

not all transparent colours or Dye perform the same... the Skin effect that some medium offers.. Like FUTURE is good ! but the pigmentation seem to run down to the extremities... and give that weird effect...

some of the ALCLAD clear colours are very potent !!! and do get Dark rather quick... so a light hand is needed there....

Good luck SCOTT with your project....

take care !

I personally tint my canopys with Tamiya clear (smoke,yellow orange) and humbrol clear (red green) for nav lights

I do prefer the tamiya as if you dont like the result you can just rub it off with rubbing alchool

Step 1 i future the canopy
step 2 i brush on the clear try to avoid pooling (on the inside)
Step 3 let it dry so gravity pull the paint away on a paper towel (i.e if you painting the inside place the canopy as if it was on the plane)

For my f-16 i did a mix of smoke and orange and turned out ok

Hope this helps

Neo

Latest posts

Back