TIGER CUTAWAY

oceanmodels

My first post. Back in early 1970s I came across a 1/16 TIGER it was a CUTAWAY version. I was 12 so by the time i got $ it was gone .wondering if any body has any ideas clues or info .If it's made now .thanks for any info ps I do got the 1/35 TIGER CUTAWAY

I don't know of any company that offered a 1/16 kit , Tiger 1 or 2 , that was a cutaway .
Doesn't mean it didn't happen .
You saw a boxed kit for sale or it was a completed model that maybe someone had done the cutaway themselves ?

I don't know of any company that offered a 1/16 kit , Tiger 1 or 2 , that was a cutaway .
Doesn't mean it didn't happen .
You saw a boxed kit for sale or it was a completed model that maybe someone had done the cutaway themselves ?
I saw the unbuilt tiger in a box at a department store called LENARS 50 years ago .it was $16 n gas like 27c now hear in so Cal $6 gal.any way will keep on looking its my unicorn. I did get a 1/24 phantom HUEY n 1/72 B52 with a X15 together by monogram also 1/32 F4 Phantom with a Mig 21 together .thanks for reply

your profile says you're 36 ;)

I checked Scalemates ---> https://www.scalemates.com/
If you're not already familiar , It's a great source for what's been produced over the years .
It's member supplied data so it's not going to necessarily be completely comprehensive though .

Well , Good Luck in your quest !
Hope you share it with us when you find it .

You've gotten me super curious about this cutaway Tiger .
The only thing I've come across , so far , from around that time period is this Tamiya catalog image .
It's 1/25 though and the text tells you that the build has been cutaway only for the photo :

vintage-tamiya-25-german-wwii-tiger_1_52c2d3f63d8e9e460e9e9f3809f4e8db.jpg

You've gotten me super curious about this cutaway Tiger .
The only thing I've come across , so far , from around that time period is this Tamiya catalog image .
It's 1/25 though and the text tells you that the build has been cutaway only for the photo :

View attachment 92482
I'm curious to about 1/25 to I also remember it being all tan color but I do remember the RED paint in cutaway parts on tank THANKS FOR INFO GOING TO DIG DEPER N IN THE 60S

I've been searching through tons of images of vintage kits , in all scales , from all the manufacturers and that Tamiya catalog image and another image of that same cutaway build from Tamiya is the only thing I've found thus far .

I'm trying to find a photo of the box-art on the box sides .
That's where I think that cutaway photo would have been -- Or maybe they used it on the box front at some point , but that seems very unlikely to me .

Been a long time since you saw it as a kid . We always remember the coolest part of stuff .
That's not a small box and it would have seemed pretty huge at that age .
I'll keep looking !

Last edited:
yes good idea I'm going to try it with 1/16 with some help I'm not good with painting he'll it took me 30 years to learn you got to WASH THE KIT first get all that oil n what have you off .thank for the reminder of the cutaway TIGER 1/35 I got one like 15 years ago its time to star that way a can get Ideas for 1/16 TIGER

I've never washed an injection molded kit .
I've heard these stories about oily parts in kits but have never come across anything of the sort , even dealing with very old kits .
The only explanation I can conjure , assuming these anecdotes are accurate , is that the " oil " is from the thermal / oxidation decomposition of the polystyrene . ( Benzaldehyde , acetophenone generation and subsequent softening of the resin into an oily consistency at the surface ) .

... or witches

I've never washed an injection molded kit .
I've heard these stories about oily parts in kits but have never come across anything of the sort , even dealing with very old kits .
The only explanation I can conjure , assuming these anecdotes are accurate , is that the " oil " is from the thermal / oxidation decomposition of the polystyrene . ( Benzaldehyde , acetophenone generation and subsequent softening of the resin into an oily consistency at the surface ) .

... or witches
A master builder told me about the washing I might be wrong on oil part but sounded like a good idea your very well informed especially about the 1/25 TIGER CUTAWAY not a 1/16 TIGER I would of looked
for ever I already spend years looking for it

It's not going to hurt anything washing injection molded parts but it's not necessary .
I've seen modelers insisting they have encountered injection molded kits that had copious amounts of oil or grease on them and I don't know why they would invent such a claim but I cannot explain what they are describing without examining the actual material .

Polystyrene varies very widely in it's composition depending on exactly what additives are incorporated by the manufacturer ( stabilizers , colorants , plasticizers and possibly recycled , adulterated waste plastics ) so their lifespan , stability and mechanical properties can run the gamut .

Here's a great video that describes very succinctly the plastic injection molding process and it's origins :

I have been modeling since the late 1970s and have NEVER washed a plastic kit. Resin parts I do wash.
I figured it wouldn't hurt .I've been building sense 1970 do you remember this monogram kits with free hot wheels early 70s PADDY WAGON,RED BARON N (ICE T not hear now its at my other garage ) as far as I know this 3 wear made 16585189403557174941746567658462.jpg

Latest posts

Back