TIGER CUTAWAY

While the kits are worth a few hundred dollars, the Hot Wheels inside are worth thousands (if in original packaging)!
Even if not in original blister packages, they are still worth a LOT!
1968 Red Baron is the fifth most valuable Redline.
Hot Wheels Paddy Wagon didn't debut until 1970, so I'm guessing the Red Baron is same issue...
even if they are not first year(1968) diecast, they are still both valuable Hot Wheels.

Yes thier cool i talked with Tom Daniel's n he said he had no idea that they had them kits with free hot wheels or how many wear put out I got 3 of them n one still in plastic bag hope I'll dig it out the ICE T in a week or 2 hers a pic I miss them old kits they had stiel n specialy the ART WORK some had

Attachments

• 16587776851156001385813669993642.jpg
    16587776851156001385813669993642.jpg
    257 KB · Views: 4
I've never washed an injection molded kit .
I've heard these stories about oily parts in kits but have never come across anything of the sort , even dealing with very old kits .
The only explanation I can conjure , assuming these anecdotes are accurate , is that the " oil " is from the thermal / oxidation decomposition of the polystyrene . ( Benzaldehyde , acetophenone generation and subsequent softening of the resin into an oily consistency at the surface ) .

... or witches
I've heard that some older (produced on the cheaper/smaller run side) do lift paint after sitting for years from the polystyrene decomposing.
The only time I've noticed any residue on a kit was a roughly 40 year old (at the time of breaking open the plastic bags the sprues are in) MPC X-Wing kit. It was also warped to the point of barely being buildable too though.

My best guess on new kits is:
People open them excitedly to inspect and appreciate the parts and details... without washing their hands or gloving up first.

For certain builders (I'm thinking of particular family members here) they may have just doused everything in multiple heavy coats of solvent based rattle-can paint without letting anything cure properly. <--- This is how I was taught to put my 1/24 autos together as a 8 or 9 year old boy, lol.

Witches are ALWAYS a possibility.

I've heard that some older (produced on the cheaper/smaller run side) do lift paint after sitting for years from the polystyrene decomposing.
The only time I've noticed any residue on a kit was a roughly 40 year old (at the time of breaking open the plastic bags the sprues are in) MPC X-Wing kit. It was also warped to the point of barely being buildable too though.

My best guess on new kits is:
People open them excitedly to inspect and appreciate the parts and details... without washing their hands or gloving up first.

For certain builders (I'm thinking of particular family members here) they may have just doused everything in multiple heavy coats of solvent based rattle-can paint without letting anything cure properly. <--- This is how I was taught to put my 1/24 autos together as a 8 or 9 year old boy, lol.

Witches are ALWAYS a possibility.
I was told by a master builder 20+and years ago good I idea to wash kit for various reasons n he was very meticulous anyways I liked the idea n it feels right so I've been doing it its up to what pepoel like to do to prep thier kits ps yes pepoel with dirty hands was one of reasons to was wash

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back