The One I Have Been Waiting for

why I suggested a larger hole further down on that bulkhead .
You have any thin plastic rod that will bend as you push it thru the hole ? ( make a slight bend in the end first ) then you can attach the wire and pull it thru .
Or something else that would suffice as a fish-rod ? Like a long enough zip-tie ( with the ratchet end removed ) or something that will bend but rigid enough you can push it along .
The hole had to be where I drilled it, as the bulkhead is very thick for strength, and the inside of the pylon has a central channel for wires and a network of stiffeners to each side of the channel. The easiest place to drill is that exposed end, as it doesn't have all that.

I think the string, cut long, tied to a finish nail one one end and the wires on the other, should be enough to get it going.

I just wish I hadn't been so stupid as to glue the nacelles on before I was ready. Once again I screwed up.

Some aluminum rod would work great.
The issue is that I need the wire to get into that channel in the pylon. Had I not been an idiot and glued the nacelles on already I would have had a super easy install. Just tie a string to the plug end of the wire, drop it down into the pylon, feed the string through the nacelle and glue the nacelle on, then pull the wire out to where I need it to plug to the Bussard(after splicing the other end) but no, I was a moron. Now I am in deep crap.

spongebob-stabbing-himself-minul.gif

So... I can get the wire into the channel in the pylon, but I have no way to get it to come out. I stole a washer from work, but the square hole in the tab of the pylon isn't on the upper side as I thought. And trying that finishing nail... I can reach far enough in there with my long modelling tweezers to get it to go through the hole I drilled.

I dunno what to do now. About the only option I can see is to drill into the nacelle somewhere areound where the pylon ends insode to fish the wire through, but then the problem becomes how do I even get at it once its through.

I dunno... I think I may be screwed. And if I can't light the Bussards I am not bothering with the rest.

buy a pack of those long , skinny zip ties .
cut the ratchet end off one and drill a hole in one end you can tie the electric wire to it and push the zip tie thru the hole and down the pylon .
Unless I'm not understanding something ...

buy a pack of those long , skinny zip ties .
cut the ratchet end off one and drill a hole in one end you can tie the electric wire to it and push the zip tie thru the hole and down the pylon .
Unless I'm not understanding something ...
I can't get in there far enough to do that. I was able to get the wire into the channel for it in the pylon, but I can't get it to come out inside the lower hull. And even with the string tied to it, I can't get into the lower hull far enough to get at the string or wires. I have no idea what to do.

I spend about 1/4 of my professional life fishing wire .
Try it .
And if the zip ties long enough you can obtain are too thick you can just slice them thinner with a blade .

You might have to bounce it up and down , wiggle it ,,, bend the end of the zip tie , etc , but it will work .

I spend about 1/4 of my professional life fishing wire .
Try it .
And if the zip ties long enough you can obtain are too thick you can just slice them thinner with a blade .
Dude, I can't reach in there. I cannot get my hand far enough inside the lower hull to reach back in there. And the channel is only big enough to just getnthe wires in. String is the only thing I could fish in there, but I need a weight on the string, and I simply cannot reach far enough into the nacelle to drop the nail all the way into the hole. I'd break the nacelle open if I forced it.

You can see where the zip tie will come out into the hull , yeah ?
Drill a hole on each end and you can use a rigid wire with a hook bent into the end to grab it and pull it to you .

Or your other option is removing the hangar bay door .

Well you just post the above while I was typing so - Go get some debonder , I thought you would have used solvent cement .

If it’s fairly old glue at this point, put it in the freezer for a couple minutes.
Maybe a half hour then try it.
Should pop loose.

You can see where the zip tie will come out into the hull , yeah ?
Drill a hole on each end and you can use a rigid wire with a hook bent into the end to grab it and pull it to you .

Or your other option is removing the hangar bay door .

Well you just post the above while I was typing so - Go get some debonder , I thought you would have used solvent cement .
I am worried about de bonder as it eats plastic.

So you got one nacelle off the pylon now ?
Yes. The glue didn't take on that nacelle. The problem is the other one is solid, so I may have to do some work to get it loose. And I tried the wire down the other pylon... I am gonna have to find a way to force it into that pylon.

Latest posts

Back