Testors pre-thinned aircraft paint

eightfooticeman

Considering I just got back into the hobby I bought the Testors Aircraft paint for airbrushes. My question is in regards to the quality of this paint? I have since bought a bunch of Tamiya acrylic paints and some Vallejo Model air stuff including a large bottle of Vallejo primer. Also can I use Tamiya light grey in place of light ghost grey and Tamiya dark grey instead of dark ghost grey? Are the shades much different?

Thanks,
Iceman

Welcome to the Herd, Iceman!

I can't offer a direct answer to your question, because I haven't used those particular Tamiya paints. But I have used their aircraft colors in rattlecans, and found that they were good general matches for color callouts, like the USAAF's OD and medium gray.

Best regards,
Brad

Those Testors airbrush ready sets that come in the tin are no longer produced. They are enamel paint and not acrylic paint like Tamiya or Vallejo. You cannot use water to clean them up. You have to use enamel thinner, lacquer thinner, or something similar.

Tamiya does not make bottle matches for modern FS colors and their spray can matches sometimes leave a lot to be desired.
This document contains some mixes for modern FS colors.
http://www.ipmsnymburk.com/tamiya%20mixing/MixTamiya.pdf

Vallejo, under the Vallejo Air airbrush ready paints, make matches for modern FS colors.

Latest posts

Back