Tamiya Long Range Desert Group/30cwt Chevrolet Truck

Got everything primed with Alclad's Grey Lacquer and then base-layered with a mixture of Dark Grey, Nato Black and Red.

8569317055_9d25095f83_o.jpg
8569316797_6fecbf74ac_o.jpg
8569317313_4a38ef25a4_o.jpg
8569317637_99f64586d9_o.jpg

Finished off with the main color this evening. My priming/base/top layer application still need some fine tuning, as I'm getting the 'orange peel' look in some areas of the model.

I hairsprayed over the base layer, waited 45 mins, then began to apply the acrylic top coat, but it began to dry in a weird 'dried riverbed' type fashion. The next airbrush mix I thinned with lacquer thinner (which I know will make chipping more difficult) but the odd dying pattern disappeared. Perhaps my hairspray brand or application needs some work.

8570129489_bc8d23a832_o.jpg
8570129691_613e0bbe03_o.jpg
8570129983_1f4a8bf86e_o.jpg
8570130225_e3f7a67d5c_o.jpg
8571224448_c2602771c7_o.jpg
8571224592_22cc32c442_o.jpg

Ian, this thing is looking fantastic. One of the things I've noticed with the chipping fluid/hairspray technique is that I had to do two or three mist coats in order to get rid of that "orange peel" effect. Scott G has, for a lack of a better definition, mastered the chipping technique. He may be able to give you a hand w/ that as well.

Hmmm, interesting. It's still a work-in-progress for me.

Began the removal tonight and even using lacquer thinner in the paint top coat, I'm still able to chip quite well.

8572878185_1600ca5776_o.jpg

Whicked, man! :eek: :eek:
You're really going into town and back with this one. The seats material texture looks incredible!

that's a good start Ian, i think the lacquer thinner will give the best result for faded looking paint and i cant wait to try it out on my next w/w tank.

I know this is a bit off topic, but what are you using for your photography? Backdrops, lighting and all that. I'm trying to get back to taking better pictures instead of the trusty old iPhone 5.

This piece is looking great too...that color reminds me of my favorite shorts :)

Here's my setup for photography:

- homemade photo scoop constructed from foamboard
- thick card stock as the curved background
- 3 cheap utility lights with 26W CFL bulbs
- Sony NEX 5 w/30mm Macro lens
- Adobe Lightroom software

My lights are a little bit closer in now since the photo was taken.

NbXScVi.jpg

spud said:
that's a good start Ian, i think the lacquer thinner will give the best result for faded looking paint and i cant wait to try it out on my next w/w tank.

I think I might try that too with this truck and see what happens.

Nice setup Ian i should try get some of those lights for my setup, your pics are quality with that set up and i actually taught you were using a a big fancy camera,

I look forward to seeing your results on this Ian with the lacquer thinner

The lights were super cheap and the CFL's keep the heat down. My camera has the same size sensor as a lot of big guys, which helps a lot with the image clarity and quality.

full frame is what is on mine, i presume yours is not that size ?

The NEX is a APS-C sensor with a 1.50 crop factor. Still, much larger than most compact cameras and 4:3 system.

Looks great Ian, I really enjoy seeing your work and what a neat lighting set up :)

Latest posts

Back