Tamiya Long Range Desert Group/30cwt Chevrolet Truck

Actually, due to the different tube sizes (37ml vs 20ml), they work out to be the same price.

I have a couple desert vehicles to build so I'll be looking forward to see how you do the paint and weathering, though, I never was fond of oil paints.

Dusky said:
Ian said:
What are the issues you've had with them?

They stink and take forever to dry. :p Sadly acrylic tube paints don't work as a replacement.

If you work with them really thinned out, you can hit them with a hair dryer (or even an airbrush) to help evaporate some of the liquid then get a coat of acrylic varnish on top without it cracking or doing anything weird. But yeah, I've got a piece of cardboard with a tiny blob of oil paint on it that's been sitting around for about a month. Still usable. Oh yeah, always work with oils on a card board palette. Pulls all the excess oil out of it. Which will help decrease drying time as well.

over here the oils are €6.50 for a 37ml tube there worth it tough because they will last you many years.

putting the oil on a bit of card to seep out the oil speeds up its drying time, i put it on a bit of card about 20 mins before i use it

Hey Ian, I'm looking forward to this. Your skills have developed nicely this year. Can't wait to see what you do with this!

PE , go for it! ;D
Can be tricky to work with but will add some nice detail.

Pe is Nice but you cant really see what it is for with the small pics

Photo etch is cool but could frustrate the heck out of you. Just sayin.

Like Spud said, put a bit of oil on a piece of cardboard. It will leach out the oil, resulting in faster dry time and matte finish.

Ordered some oils, should get here Wednesday. I'm excited to test.

I might pass on the PE for this build, then get set up with "The Bug" and tackle my Secret Santa Dragon Tiger kit I received from Dusky, since that has it already in the box.

Putting the chassis together. The older kit is requiring a bunch of seam clean up.

8529335617_72a5d1545f_o.jpg
8529336029_5340f0d16a_o.jpg
8530448370_7a782489ba_o.jpg

Latest posts

Back