Tamiya Long Range Desert Group/30cwt Chevrolet Truck

Thanks folks! Seems like a fun kit to build and it allows me to test out some of the techniques I've been reading about in Michael Rinaldi's TankArt book.

oh very cool Ian, it will be nice to see how you approach his way of weathering,

I am loving the book, and have been doing a lot of tests and experiments. Thinking about getting some oils too.

Gotta have some oils in your arsenal Ian. You can get by with black, white and burnt umber, buff also comes in handy. Buy good quality artist oils they will last you forever. With those 3 or 4 colours you can make all the washes under the sun and work just as well as the streaking products IMO.

As a beginner, I have never weathered a model before; I will be learning some good stuff with this build I have a feeling. :)

Ian, have a look at the mig 502 oils they are much finer and are made for the modeler

spud said:
Ian, have a look at the mig 502 oils they are much finer and are made for the modeler

I went and bought some Winsor & Newton Artist Oils (their super professional brand, not Winton, Artisan, or Griffin). It makes all other oil paints infinitely subpar to work with. I'm curious about AK Interactive's new oil paints as well.

spud said:

Yep, was looking at those. Might pay a visit to a local art supply place today to see the Winsor Newton range.

Ian said:
spud said:

Yep, was looking at those. Might pay a visit to a local art supply place today to see the Winsor Newton range.

That is what I use, the Winsor and Newton. A bit expensive though. But you will never use up a tube.....

Grendels said:
Ian said:
spud said:

That is what I use, the Winsor and Newton. A bit expensive though. But you will never use up a tube.....

Right? When I went into the art store and looked at the W&N series 4 paints (they match all the Mig 501 Fantasy colours) I cried. $30–$40 a tube. But it'll last for … well forever. :-\

So the Series 1 colors are $10.50/ea. vs $5.50 for the MIG 502s. And it's also a hour drive roundtrip to the art store.

Looks like Red Frog Hobbies is getting an order today!

Latest posts

Back