Tamiya 1:43 Spitfire. My first plane!

Dave, nice to see you back buddy. I can't figure out where the warp nacelles are on this thing? ;D

Good job with this old bird. Excellent paint work on the captain. Shame about that overspray though it's not the worst I've encountered. 8)

dear nasty overspray.

246587_10151831043990527_1461137658_n.jpg

Be Gone!

554668_10151831044125527_646987981_n.jpg

Cptn CK looks comfy!

403438_10151831044545527_915448080_n.jpg

I thought the seam at the rear of the wing section might blend in a little better a part of the geometry.

534392_10151831045000527_271784494_n.jpg

pleased, very pleased. Tonight, decals!

You should be pleased ...Looks great :) I'd advise a couple of good gloss clearcoats before decals tho' to avoid silvering ;)

Chris.

Actually, she has two coats of Humbrol Gloss already

might not look it in the photos, but it person its evident.

No worries :) Wasnt tryin to teach yer to suck eggs or anything , you hadnt mentioned it so I thought you were going straight from paint to decals ;)

Chris.

Chris S said:
No worries :) Wasnt tryin to teach yer to suck eggs or anything , you hadnt mentioned it so I thought you were going straight from paint to decals ;)

Chris.

Well chris, while were on the subject. GLOSS COAT IS REALLY THINK!!

how thin do i go? Do you apply it with my airbrush, or an actual brush?

and thricely, all info is good info. please keep throwing eggs for me to suck!

Dave what are you using for your gloss coat? You mentioned humbrol so I would assume that's enamel like there paints so I would shoot it through the airbrush, it might need to be thinned with enamel thinners 50/50 if it's thick (remember though when you come to do your washes there most likely enamel too which could effect the gloss coat). I personal use johnsons/pledge Klear (bought it in asda well cheap, acrylic based, big bottle and one of the glossiest things out there) through the airbrush gloss/decal/gloss/wash/Matt in that order.

I have a bottle of the pledge up the shed, and I used it on the tank i painted. And, if im honest.......

it just left a stippled mess :-\

too thin, too thick? all i know is 50/50 thin humbrlol went on smooth as smooth can be.

As for weathering, I shall use the Flory Models clay wash. So its water based.

Finish decals, another coat of gloss to thin. A day to dry. Weathering clay wash. Then a matt coat.

Then call her done!

(not forgetting this is my second finished kit)

Things, have started to unravel a little.

but its all good learning experience.

551604_10151835944465527_2016593087_n.jpg

579857_10151835944815527_1812232764_n.jpg

the decals have left some serious silvering. There really thin, but the white colour blocks stop the decals sinking into the detail.

but on the plus side, i have found using the gloss neat gives much better results!

on to a little weathering
547279_10151835945260527_643668663_n.jpg

Looking good Dave!

One thing with Tamiya decals. They suck! That said I have used them with success. just be generous with the solvent and they will settle down. A bit thick they are. ;D

Yeah I didn't like the decals on my Tamiya P51d ripped them right off by accident with masking tape, be carefull dude.

Coming along nicely Dave. Like John said watch that tape over the decals....avoid it if at all possible. I lifted some up badly on a bird with Tamiya tape no less. Paint job looks sick!

Looks good Dave. Nice work on the paint. :)

Yeah that whole having to place extra white decals is a pain, but your ID codes and fuselage roundal look like they turned out nice.

you know the covers that go over the landing struts that attach the wheels..............

i melted them :(

what a stoopidhead :mad:

do you think it possible to beg new parts? ebay for a 1/2 done kit?

What happened?

Just like ShutterAce mentioned, Tamiya has pretty good customer service. I'd contact them (I've gotten replacement decals from them in the past).

JMac said:
What happened?

Just like ShutterAce mentioned, Tamiya has pretty good customer service. I'd contact them (I've gotten replacement decals from them in the past).

i dried them with a heat gun a lá trekworks style. done it a ton of times.

melted.

i hate myself!

contact details for tamiya uk?

Latest posts

Back