T-62(model 1961) Reshetska armour, Afghanistan 1980s

okb1982

hi guys!

This is my first post here, I hope you like it:D
It was my entry on our local club's group build themed Afghan War 1979-present.

It is a T-62 model 1962 with the tactical markings of the 'Berlin' Tank Regiment, 5th Guards Motor Rifle Division, 40th Army, Afghanistan 1980s.

I've scratchbuilt the 'Reshetska' armour based from sheet PLA and based on online reference photos.
The unditching beam's secure belts were also scratchbuilt.
The spare Afghanka winter jacket and ushanka hanging in the turret were made from putty.
The hatch details were also improved based on scratched items.
The kit was painted with Tamiya acrylics and enamels then weathered with oil paints, pigments and Tamiya Weathering Master Sets.
The tank's color was modulated through the use of pinwash/color modulation/oil dot filtering technique.

The pigments that were used are Vallejo and Mig Productions pigments.
The pigments were fixed and set via an isopropyl alcohol.
I also tried to apply scrathches/drybrushes using brush strokes applied randomly.
The paint for the scratches is just the base paint mixed with more amount of white just to highlight the scratches and 'fresh' paint as it happens on household steel gates.
I did some sponge technique which I read from Miguel Jimenez's blog to simulate wear on the flat areas like turret roofing and engine deck.
This was done by wetting a sponge with your desired paint then applying it sparingly on the areas you that you want to weather.
It's more like drybrushing but instead of brush you will use a sponge.
I added a flag which is the 'unofficial' ensign of the Soviet Ground Forces from the Red Army days to present.
Flag is made from coupon bond painted with enamels.
The dirty rags hanging from the turret cage and bucket are made from paper towels.

The rest of the pictures...

1.jpg

2.jpg

4.jpg

6.jpg

hatchdetails.jpg

reshetskaarmour.jpg

spongetechnique.jpg

stolichnayaagain.jpg

3.jpg

5.jpg

7.jpg

8.jpg

9.jpg

10.jpg

11.jpg

simulation of a detonated warhead...
dirtytracks.jpg

here are some drunkard tankers...I added my impressions of mini Stolichnaya vodka bottles to accompany the Red Army on the lonely hills of Afghanistan
stolichnaya.jpg

stolichnayaagain.jpg

It took me around 2 months and a half to complete this kit but nevertheless, it was an enjoying and exciting build.

Build log: http://gomezgrad.wordpress.com/

Many thanks to the guys in IPMS-Philippines for teaching the how-to's regarding color mods.

Comments are highly appreciated. :)

Cheers! ;D

Iking

amazing work, that is one of my favorite tanks. the weathering job you did is fantastic.

:D

I think it is a wonderful, expressive model. Very, very nice. Congratulations.

And what a big time drinking got the crew!! :eek:

Cheers, thanks for sharing. :D
RG

Thanks Scratchmod, Quarlane, Whiskee and Jelly! :D
This is my first time to try this weathering technique and the scratchbuilding as well.

Thanks a lot for the appreciation guys! Ill post some of my works here.

Cheers! ;D

Iking

I think I know who build this... already given all the clues!!! Its nice to see you here, great build!!! at least I saw it in full view... ;D what can I say... just to translate it "its the difference of havin a car rather than a meager cycle" lols

OKB ,

Great lookin Tank !! Cool details ! I like th weathering to th trax & the rest of th Tank !! Great Job !

Welcome to th HERD

Thanks Eastrock! Hopefully I can bring this to the club's meeting. :)
Thanks Panzerace and Punkpigpen! Glad you guys like the finished item. Its just that I don't know if the Soviet Army are allowed to openly display their booze while they're on duty :p Well, there's always an exception hahaha! :D

Cheers!

OKB

I do hope I could attend our club meeting, but I'm stuck with loads of worked and Training for my License in CC. still you always can do magic!!

Some nice weathering it looks like it's been through the wars alright

Top marks

Geegad

gotta try my hand at some armor build one day. im really just into sci fi kits but the rusty mud filled armor looks like a challenge i wanna give a try at. :)

Thanks geegad for the appreciation!:D

Thanks again punkpigpen!:D Yup, you should! try out muddy, dusty, weathered armour!:D

Cheers!

Iking

Thats one fine looking model you got there, everything certainly looks great

great stuff

shane

Latest posts

Back