Star Wars BattleFront Sniper Scout "WiP" !

I have been aproached by a Master Modeler and asked why my Scouts were not weathered ?

I am turning back to you guys and ASK ! HOW Weathered should I make this guy ?

Like dirty like he has been fighting thru hell or maybe just his boots and kneepads and a few scuffs on his upper armor ?

I don't mind giving him a little Juice ! or Wash here and there... But I didn't know how to answer that guy ! although a good friend, he is all Tank and mud type of guy... maybe he doesn't dig The Aseptic Star Wars Universe thing !!

Give me some Feed back !

Thanks in advance !

Norm

OUT !

I wouldn't dirty him up much. Weathering should be subtle, not over the top. Too much, and it won't look right. I would just scuff up the armor a little bit. and dirty up his knees where he is kneeling on the ground. and maybe the boots a tiny bit. After all, when you see them in the movie, they are not that dirty.

schweinhund227 said:
I have been aproached by a Master Modeler and asked why my Scouts were not weathered ?

I am turning back to you guys and ASK ! HOW Weathered should I make this guy ?

Like dirty like he has been fighting thru hell or maybe just his boots and kneepads and a few scuffs on his upper armor ?

Give me some Feed back !

Hey Norm!

I dunno if you need to weather him. Really, weathering is really a matter of taste. Since you're not putting him on a diorama there's no "environment" to match so it's up to you if you wanna weather your model or not.

I mean, every Storm Trooper I've seen in the movies always starts out like they just walked out of the cleaners. The only time I see any scuff marks is if they get shot or if they are on Endor getting ruffed up by Ewoks.

So really, it's what you want to do with him. If I were the one doing this model and at this point I probably would for myself go with a little scuffling as Grendel suggested. I dunno if it's throw him in the mud though. I might make him a little muddy if he were one a speeder though. Simulating that he's been revvin' though the forest of Endor all day.

Yeah, I'm of the same thinking.

His boots, a bit - knees, a bit less. Maybe one or two random...OOPS!. Like where he tripped on a log while taking a sip of "whatever scouts drink for breakfast", and spilled some on his armor. I dunno??

I just wouldn't over do it. He's not a "sewer pipe cleaning duty" scout.

Scott Girvan said:
I just wouldn't over do it. He's not a "sewer pipe cleaning duty" scout.

Aren't those those guys that wear the dark grey uniforms that are the sewer pipe cleaners? lol

OH! I would also dry brush the rifle but not over do it... just enough to bring out some highlights but then again, in the movies even their guns are super clean.

Does anyone else find it troublesome that something as big as the Death Star is very spotless. You gotta wonder how much the empire spend on bleach every year.

Thanks to you all ~ it reaffirms what I had in mind ! but I could not convince my Hard Core Army friend !

This next picture although Out of Context !!! shows the weathering on my
last Scout Project ! Basically, like you guys mentioned; Boots, knees, and armor lightly weathered !

It got me a Gold ! I guess, Less is better ?

NewbackgroundRelaxScoutTrooperco-1.jpg

I'll keep posting pictures of my progress and might even get a small base started !!! 3+ weeks left before the Toronto Show ! See you there !!!

and thanks so much !!! for the support and ideas !

Norm

OUT !

Awesome. I soooo love that. Thing is...it looks real! You nailed that. The pose, the paint, the weathering. It's pure gold Norm.

schweinhund227 said:
CroppedRelaxScoutTrooper.jpg

Wow... just.... wow.

This is turning out really nice.

Just to comment on the weathing issue.... One thing I didn't see mentioned was adding 'shading' instead of weathering. Shading can add depth and realism to a model without making it look dirty and "used". This can be very tricky to do very subtly especially on a white model.

It's best to just go with what makes you happy about it. I wouldn't test out any new techniques on a such a nice model.

dbhs said:
This is turning out really nice.

Just to comment on the weathing issue.... One thing I didn't see mentioned was adding 'shading' instead of weathering. Shading can add depth and realism to a model without making it look dirty and "used". This can be very tricky to do very subtly especially on a white model.

It's best to just go with what makes you happy about it. I wouldn't test out any new techniques on a such a nice model.

Duly Noted !! "dbhs"

While I am making copies of my New Helmet ! I will try juicing (washes) and adding some fine pastels and get inspired for a Base !!! I just found some Thick Bark ! which is perfect Scale for Endor ! I just need to set it up so it tells a story but not over take the Vignette !!

Take care all !

Just stopping by to leave a small UP DATE !

Started the weathering and I still have a few areas to fix but it looks like this project has Ended !

here you go !

DSC07517_resize.jpg

DSC07514_resize.jpg

Take Care all !!!!

Thanks for watching !

Norm

OUT

Just testing the Water !!!

Guys can you let me know if this small Base is Enough ??? or Not Enough ?

I am entering this as a figure ! so the Base should not be judged... but Help set the Figure on Endor !

Hence the Soiled Armour pads....

DSC07672b-1.gif

Let me know guys !!

Thanks !

I have added straps on boots and thighs... which needs to be painted but... that's not why I am writing this...

Any help will be much appreciated !!!

Norm

OUT !

Personally i think it rocks,love the pose,great paint and very nice base.

Latest posts

Back