spray booths?

MrNatural

my head is falling off my head
So now that I have my airbrush and completed a couple models with it i feel the next stop up nerd mountain would be to obtain a sweet spray booth, right now i just paint in the garage with a respirator, I hate having my painting area so far from my work area and my next house isnt going to have a garage at all so i gotta figure something out. My question being how hard is it to filter your spray booth outside and is it even neccessary if your doing minimal amounts of airbrushing at a time if you're using a decent spray booth inside the house?? Is there a Spray booth manufactuer that is less expensive than Artograph???

thanks!

Hey there,

Are you handy at building things (other than models).

You could build your own spray booth. Friend of mine and I built 2 at the same time (measure twice, and cut twice for 2 booths).

Mine is basically a bottom draft, using a 110cfm bathroom fan. Furnace filter over that and then some peg board. Case is MDF. Lights are your choice. Fan is ducted out the back, with some dryer hose going outside.

Have a look at the photos.

http://scottm.fotki.com/models/paint-booth/

Simple to make, I built it around the size of the furnace filter. The fan is hooked to a switch on the front. If I had to do it again, I would have also incorporated lights into the top of the booth that would also come on with the switch. Completely happy with it. I have sprayed acrylic, enamel and lacquer through it....wife smells nothing in the house unless I am using something particularly nasty, but then it isn't that strong through the rest of the house.

That is just something simple, costs maybe $100, and some of your time. Could be less, but I opted for a higher cfm fan, which was more money.

You can go to town on this....add in lights to the top, doors that you can close, which can keep the heat in, making yourself a make shift heat/paint booth, heat will help the paint cure faster. Sky is the limit.

Thanks
Scott

Artograph has sponsored the show by supplying me with a 1530.

http://www.artograph.com/products/spray_1530.htm

I gotta tell you. IT IS SWEET. We'll see more of that in the next video.

Scott Girvan said:
Artograph has sponsored the show by supplying me with a 1530.

http://www.artograph.com/products/spray_1530.htm

I gotta tell you. IT IS SWEET. We'll see more of that in the next video.

Who's a lucky boy then. :eek: ;)
BB.

Can't complain. I still have to hook it up to my outdoor 'dryer' vent. This thing has 2 fans so there are two output hoses. I only have one vent thru the wall so I need to mickey mouse a 2>1 reducer, manifold thing.

i appreciate the pointers for sure! but im still a little confused about venting it to the outside is this something that is optional? if you cant vent outside does the spray booth just suck the fumes into the fourth dimention or what exactly happens?

If you don't vent it outside it will just blow the fumes right back into the room. You need to either have a vent installed thru a wall or put hte hose out the window.

I did this (the window option) in the basement mancave. Using rigid foam, I cut it to the exact size of my open window and then put a hole in the center of it for the 5" hose.

Ditto with mine, just vented outside through a window.

I got tired of the cold air coming in during the winter, so I made it permanent by putting 2" foam in the window and then covering it with plastic. Don't use the window for anything else anyway, as it is under the deck.

There are actual window vent things made by Mr. Hobby

hobby_2507_pmr_super_booth_vent_attachmentp.jpg

Attach the hose to it, and stick it out the window, window closes on it to hold it in place. They run about $12-$14 each. But a hole cut in a piece of foam with a dryer vent works well also.

Yeah, I used the 2" foam. Any little gaps I filled with Pink Fluffy insulation, just carmming itin there. There wasn't any air drafts, nice and tight for winter modeling.

[quote author=Scott Girvan]
Artograph has sponsored the show by supplying me with a 1530. (...) I gotta tell you. IT IS SWEET.
[/quote]

<jealous>

Latest posts

Back