Which is the best clear-coat can spray paint for sealing decals damage-free?

t_tail_boy

I don't want decals to blister, peel or other wise get damaged.

The paint under the decals will be Model Master Custom Lacquer System Plum Crazy Metallic. I'm planning to have expensive decals printed by Bedlam Creations. It's site recommends Testors Clearcote or Dullcote for decal sealing.

Will the above clear paints work well over lacquer, enamel and/or acrylic base paints?

So, I need to cleanly seal fresh waterslide decals over lacquer paint.

The wings of my plane will be Testors silver enamel sans decals and will not need clear coat sealing.

The only rattle-can clearcoat I've used on models is that Testors they recommend .
They're both lacquers so kinda " hot " , but I've never had trouble .

The best clearcoats if you have an air brush are from AK - the AK Ultra Matt is the best matt in acrylic out there IMO

The only rattle-can clearcoat I've used on models is that Testors they recommend .
They're both lacquers so kinda " hot " , but I've never had trouble .

The best clearcoats if you have an air brush are from AK - the AK Ultra Matt is the best matt in acrylic out there IMO

Thank you, Goggles Man, Testors is what I shall buy. The base paint will be lacquer so why not the clear as well.

Last edited:
Hello,
I don't want decals to blister, peel or other wise get damaged.

The paint under the decals will be Model Master Custom Lacquer System Plum Crazy Metallic. I'm planning to have expensive decals printed by Bedlam Creations. It's site recommends Testors Clearcote or Dullcote for decal sealing.

Will the above clear paints work well over lacquer, enamel and/or acrylic base paints?

So, I need to cleanly seal fresh waterslide decals over lacquer paint.

The wings of my plane will be Testors silver enamel sans decals and will not need clear coat sealing.
I have modeling for 50 years and always used testors clear coat, what ever sheen you need is up to what type of model you are building. Always research before you !

Being as isolated as I am, I've learned to use what I can get. For clear matt, I use a Minwax aerosol that is a water based acrylic. Wonderful results, not expensive and you can get it in any hardware store.

Personally I like Tamiya clear flat. Dries super fast, the stink isn't too strong and clears out pretty quick, and you can build up three or more coats in about an hour.

Latest posts

Back