Spray Booth Recommendations?

Just get yourself a range hood. It serves a few purposes. Built in enclosed motor (no sparks) with variable fan speeds, light, and makes the top of your booth for you. You can check with some appliance recycling/salvage places. Sometimes you can find an old one that still works and they will just give it to ya for taking it away for them.

As far as motors causing a spark and starting a fire.... don't worry your little head about that. The air/fuel mixture has to be just right, and accidentally reaching the perfect ratio in a spray booth is rare if it ever happens. Not to mention the fact that unless you are using some cheap motor from china that does not conform to US specs, they will rarely, if ever, spark.

Not sure if you have access to power tools and/or someone to help you, but you can build a very nice spray booth for around $50 on your own. If power tools are not an option, do it the old fashioned way.... Hand saw! Here's mine...

http://beaveranger.blogspot.com/p/paint-booth.html

RocketSilo said:
wouldn't a bathroom fan be explosion proof ?

Most certainly not.

A friend of mine has not once but twice had a flare up in his bathroom fan based spray booth. Granted both times was while cleaning his gun with pure lacquer thinner, but the point is don't kid yourself into thinking a bathroom fan is something its not.

If you aare going to spray enamels you need a brushless fan. I bought MicroMark's 1st, 2nd, and 3rd stage filters that they use for their booths and adapted them to my home made booth. They do a great job at reducing the vapors.
Ron W.

Latest posts

Back