So I had to move from armchair modeler to real modeler - Tam. Quad Gun Tractor

Subhuman1

Ok, well I already have a "build" going on in the now finished Apocalypse GB, but that is proving more work than I first planned for, that project hasn't been given up on by any means, but it is at a point where the list of to do's is longer then the list of done's :) so as little break from that: i decided to pull something out of my stash and have some fun and actually model instead of being mired in planning and designing.

With that I present my current work in progress Tamiya's 1/35 Quad Gun Tractor. This is to be my first completed kit in nearly 20 years or so, so I am a bit rusty and dusty, but just need to actually get 'er done! And like the SMA motto, "completion not perfection" :) so this time I am going to try for the completion part and just have some fun....

So I skipped any pictures of the sprues or basic assembly, and present the approximately 95% completed construction of the kit here ...

dscf1244v.jpg

.. at this point only the glass needs to be mounted along with the driver and steering wheel. I still want to add a couple more details, but nothing big. Mainly a little attention to the door hinges, and the straps holding the canvas roof down. ( I may take a quick look on line, and see what I can find for tractors with external storage). So far the only extra details have been to remove the molded in grab handles on the cabs roof hatch (even for a 40 year old kit, they couldn't be allowed to stay) and replaced them with copper wire. And cut the steering arm apart and repositioned the front wheels and arm ( I didn't make it perfect - I went for plausible, not possible :) )

Second shot, the three major assemblies of the kit, in the first stages of painting...

dscf1246y.jpg

The body has been given a work over with My Paasche Talon, and had pre shading done to it in black. This is the first time for using this brush other than on a bit of paper to test drive it. A step up from my nearly 30 year old Paasche H and almost as old VL :) (the H still holds a special spot in my heart - that sucker has flung a lot of paint and still has a lot more gallons left in it)

Third shot..

dscf1248b.jpg

This is the interior of the cab (yes thank you captain obvious!) not going to do much other than brush up on my brush work skills with this, once the clear parts are in place most of it won't be very visible anyways, so no point going nuts.

Fourth shot...

dscf1249f.jpg

This is the chassis with the running gear, motor etc installed.

Now this bring a question for anyone seeing this who uses Valljeo (spelling?) paints, I panted the interior and the frame with a mix of Val Dark Yellow, and Black mixed about 10 yellow to 1.5 black, diluted with rubbing alcohol, I got, the light green on the chassis, and at about 1:3 maybe 4, I got the very dark green on the interior.

Are my eyes playing tricks on my or is Vallejo's take on Dark Yellow, closer to an olive green? Either that or there is a good amount of blue in the bottle of black I manged to get. Either way, my first time with Vallejo paints (when I last painted anything, the available paints where Testors, Humbrol and Tamiya - go away a few years and there is new stuff all over the place _ I just can't find the Model Technologies stuff any more though :) )

very cool, will be watching how this progresses! and as for the paint troubles, i believe that Vallejo black is a very dark shade of blue, i know that the black grey (862) when lightened with white, shows a distinct bluish shade

Small update...

Got some paint flung on the chassis and body, and was quite happy with it all, then I noticed I had forgot to paint the front fenders ::) so tried to match the shade of green I mixed but couldn't get back to it close enough to make myself happy :mad: redid the preshade, and flung some olive green over everything (yeah i know this kit depicts desert camo and decal options, but damn it I wanted a green one!) after the preshade, the airbrush and paint plotted against me ;) (is Vallejo paint always so thick?) anyways, amnaged to get this far, even if I did wind up being a bit ham fisted and basically obliterated the preshade work :p

day2vo.jpg

quad2a.jpg

Tomorrow I plan to do some more with the air brush, and lighten up the top surfaces a shade or two, but for tonight I will call it quits while I am still barely ahead and nothing has been thrown against the wall. ;D So far, paint 1, Airbrush 1, Carpet monster 1, me at best a A for effort, hopefully tomorrow is better ;D

Up next, as mentioned a little more with the air brush, and then bouncing back and forth between brush/detail brush work, and starting to throw together a base to sit it on (might as well see what trips I can recall from my model railroading days).

More later

Ok, so reblasted the OD today, and did a bit of quick highlighting and low lighting...

postshadepredullcote.jpg

A couple of quick coats of Dullcote (from a 20 year old can) and everything starts to come back together and tone down a bit...

postshadepredullcote1.jpg

So while that is set aside to dry, start with the next part of this build, the base...

Additions from the dollar store and Michaels..

dollarstorefinds.jpg

Two dollar frame from the dollar store...

baseaw.jpg

Dollar store frame and a sub base carved from a piece of styrofoam..

subbase.jpg

The sub base after an application of paper towel and a white glue/water mix. Once this has dried, I can start building up some terrain..

shellj.jpg

..more to come once stuff gets a bit more dried out here.

One more small picture before I call it a night get something to eat, and a bit of sack time before my meeting tomorrow morning. I thought I would get more painting done but that's how it goes I guess. So for now a preview of some of the vegetation I have started on for this project.

veg1r.jpg

Ok so I wasn't able to get much done, but I did get some more practice and forward movement on the vegetation..

I started putting together some water lilies, the lilly in the pictures was done in brown paper, I am going to go back and redo it in white, and skip the painting step, just to save myself a bit of hassle, the lilies are easy enough to make, the lilly pads I am not a 100% happy with yet, so I may tweak that idea some more, before I give it a final approval. The following is what you get when you embrace you inner Martha Stewart ;D

dscf1303nw.jpg

dscf1304b.jpg

dscf1305b.jpg

dscf1307d.jpg

More to come ....

You'd sure make Martha Proud Subhuman :D lol " Nice lookin lillies BTW" ;)

well your set for valentines day with that buddy..now you can spend more money on models ..jokes aside cracking job with this tiny build

How's the build comin along Subhuman1 ? Have you got anymore pics too share ? :)

It is coming along (slowly), my union work (not to mention my regular job and life) have kept me plenty busy the last week and a bit. But I do plan to get some more pictures up later on today/this evening. I have been plodding along when I could make a bit of time for myself here and there.

So they's a commin'! ;)

So today was pretty much a day of epic failure!! Model 2 - Modeler -1

Ok so it all started with the best of intentions today, got a delivery of a few paper punches in early in the week, and spent the free time I could get punching out leaves for populating this little dio with foliage, that fortunately went ok.....

dscf1314z.jpg

dscf1321g.jpg

and I wound up with a lovely assortment of Geranium, Grape, Oak, Holly, Maple, a couple of fern type plants and Ivy.

With that in hand it was time to get more ambitious and tackle something a little more hardy, time to build a tree, so off to the dollar store and bought a couple of el-cheapo extension cords for material to work with and began putting this together.....

dscf1324i.jpg

That went well, after a few hours I had a full together armature, which I then covered the trunk of with Sculpey to stark building out the trunk. Now I have a nice soldering iron, but it is packed away right now, and not feeling ambitious enough to dig for it, I decided to use up the remaining Mercury Adhesives super glue and Accelerator I have ( I hate this stuff with a passion - and would never buy it again, you mileage may very)

Anyways, made progress and got it all together to the point, where I needed to bake the Sculpey I had on there before I could do any more Sculpey work or it would start to get to thick. SO I popped it in the oven at 275 for a short roasting, and found out that super glue heated to 275 is not a good thing ;D Opened the door of the oven and got a nice moderate blast of eye stinging poison gas (it dissipated almost instantly, but if you try this stupid trick at home, open the door of oven then stand back for a second, do not stick head in oven to examine results)

So oven+super glue+accelerator+Sclupey (although I don't think the Sculpey was anything other than a victim in this scenario)=

dscf1328f.jpg

You can see all the superglue+accelerator has bubbled and boiled, and was making a sound akin to frying bacon when I pulled it out of the oven, and the Sculpey was blown apart in some areas (where there was glue underneath it).

The Sculpey performed exactly as expected, and became diamond hard after it cooled, the superglue, turned to super carp, with the bonds letting go, and turning to fine crystals/dust with absolutely no strength at all. Should of dug the soldering iron out :p so, now I still have two and a half extension cord left, time to lick my wounds and formulate a plan duex! ;D

Latest posts

Back