So I had to move from armchair modeler to real modeler - Tam. Quad Gun Tractor

were did you get them punches they look quality..and the rest of your work is top notch as well

Ok, the mini punches came from eBay ( http://stores.ebay.ca/Sherry-Rodehavers-Quilling-Corner?_trksid=p4340.l2563 ) I had not problem at all with the seller, even exchanged a few emails about paper quilling - I didn't know what it was so I asked and she explained).

I have also found the same punches at this store www.cistamps.com - ( I haven't used this store personally so I can not comment)

This is the company that makes/imports these punches http://www.thepunchbunch.com/

I have a couple of more larger sized punches coming in, something else to bear in mind with the punches, is what can you make from the shape of the punched item, ie: the water lillies I posted earlier, where simply four five pointed stars, the first one flat, the next three all formed into a cup around the bottom of a needle file handle then glued one inside the other, alternating the "petals" back and forth.

I am also experimenting with making cala-lillies from a heart shape (the heat punched, then bent around a round mandrel and glued together where the to sides of the heart come together) - this is taking a but of fidgeting as old eyes and coffee tremors tend to get in the way :) but I can see where there is a cala - lilly with in ;D

I also have a couple more larger punches in bound, I walked through Michaels and a Scrap booking place, and examined some of the bigger punches and looked at the negative image the punch creates, there is also a lot that can be exploited that way as well, as some of the confetti that gets created would make great leaves as well, and other things too, given some imagination.

The only down side is surface texture, or lack of it, but for that some simple embossing and dry brushing, or dragging a felt pen around the edges of a petal or leaf, and allowing the ink to soak in from the edges to represent a colour changes, variation etc. should do the trick.

The pre made stuff is nice, don't get me wrong, but "kit's is expensive", so any where I can compromise a bit (ie: the leaves will be some what over scale compared to commercially produced items) and it will take more work. But at the same time will help keep the budget a bit lighter to afford other goodies.

Those are cheap and a much better option than spending 25 quid on a box of a few hundred when the punch will last a lifetime or close enough.

Subhuman1 said:
(ie: the leaves will be some what over scale compared to commercially produced items)

They do look good but this is exactly my fear, the size/scale. :-\

I'm unfamiliar with the size of Canadian coins. Is there something else (like a 1/35 figure) you could put one next to for scale?

An US dime or Canadian dime, either way both are the same size, I just compared two I happen to have here.

Thanks for the update. I agree with previous comments on them punches 8)

hell i can punch all day with them ive got some plus model leaves and i'm reluctant to use them but with the punch i could cover a dio base for next to nothing

Some nice ground work going on here. Can't go wrong with a good solid artillery tractor build. :)

To those of you who have been watching this thread, thanks! You have not been forgotten, I have been absolutely swamped with Union work the last month, between bargaining going down the crapper, strike vote, executive elections then regular work and life, and dealing with the wifes immigration, been a busy time, but a update WILL come, even if it is a small one.

At least I managed to hoard a bunch of goodies over the last month, look a post to come soon in the "new in the stash" thread :) being able to order online via a cell phone, made a couple of long nights a little more bearable :) Stay posted folks, thanks again!

Latest posts

Back