SMA Modelpalooza!

fblanton

Just thinking the other day while driving along how fun it would be to have an SMA Modelpalooza. We would all meet somewhere during an agreeable time of year to meet each other, have a few laughs and show some built or currently building styrene. Note I did NOT type "contest". Just a day long get together to show in person our little works of art. No vend-whores or competition. Have wheels, will travel!

Frank Blanton

Time and $$ willing I would be in. Be cool even if it was by state/country and we could share the pictures on here. I know there are a few Michiganders on here.

Funny, I've been thinking about this while on vacation - having a way to develop a 'land based' SMA extension.

I like the idea of a big weekend convention but that's a while off yet. If we had more localized meetings or something....hmmm.

Anyone near Utah? so far im pretty geographically isolated from the rest of you guys. SMA Regionals at a preset time of year would be better. This way its easier for the more financially challenged or time challenged to manage to congregate.

Or how about here in good old Texas. We have one major university in town. And I could offer up a meeting place. ( I have two rooms at my office that can seat 100) You could have it in the winter when all of you are snowed in and it is 70 here or 21.1 C for you metric types.....

Just kidding, this sounds like fun. If the time and place work, I would be in.

Jingles said:
Suddenly, I feel a tad left out... ;)

Hey, let's all meet in Akihabara, under the bridge by the wiring shop! :)

Jingles.

No thanks, the excess radiation will melt styrene! ;D ;D

HWR MKII said:
Anyone near Utah? so far im pretty geographically isolated from the rest of you guys. SMA Regionals at a preset time of year would be better. This way its easier for the more financially challenged or time challenged to manage to congregate.
You're isolated? What a about me?

Fantastic Idea ! I wouldn't mind traveling to th Great White North !! Especially in August , when it's a stagnate 90-100 F with th Humidity, making it over 100 ! Frank .... You know what I'm talkin' about ... V.A. humidity !

Yes Virginia Summertime heat with high dew points makes it tough to love "O'l Virginny"

This whole idea would be a weekend to meet and socialize. No pressure from judges or vendors tempting us with the latest goods. A convention of sorts yes, but not in a traditional sense as we are used to.

What would we do?

Have a display area for W.I.P. and completed models. Lots of comfy chairs to visit with one another.
Dinners. Big family style group meals. I don't know a modeler who does'nt like to eat.
"Hey Scratchmod, pass the potatoes" Kind of thing.

Work area. For those interested within the display area, we could set up a build area. "Were just hanging out bashing plastic, by the way Jingles, you're standing on my airbrush hose dude"

How do I get my tools, glues etc.. to SMA Modelpalooza? I mean I cant take the stuff on a plane right?
Fed-ex, ups etc.. to the site.

Where to host such an event? How about a big 4-H camp or Boy Scout campsite. I am thinking of a place like that. Grill out in the evening. Chats with the members by large camp fires.
Just some ideas.

Frank Blanton

And for those of the HERD that could not attend ... A Live Video Internet Feed ! ?

Fellowship & Camaraderie !! Styrene Style !! Hey ScaleModelMadMan ... can you pass the Tamiya Thin ? ;D

panzerace007 said:
Fantastic Idea ! I wouldn't mind traveling to th Great White North !! Especially in August , when it's a stagnate 90-100 F with th Humidity, making it over 100 ! Frank .... You know what I'm talkin' about ... V.A. humidity !

VA summertime heat?? Maybe for a day or two at a time. You boys are spoiled. :p Try living on the Gulf Coast. Now that's humidity. April to November. Spring and Fall seriously last a couple of weeks at the most....

How about a nice Canadian destination? Edmonton is great in the summer (more than 17 hours of day light at soltice). A huge park system, lots of festivals, one of the largest malls in the world...the summer is not very humid or overly hot.

On the flip side the ground is frost free for about 140 days a year...

Latest posts

Back