SMA Local Clubs

Junkie

Hi,
There's been several requests to form "SMA Local" clubs, chapters whatever you wanna call it. I feel it's time to move forward with this.

I'm starting this thread to explore how we can do this? Could it be as simple of people 'signing' up. I can design stuff that can printed to be taken to local shows - logo for table etc...

We'd need to define some zones. Not exactly sure how to proceed so lets discuss.

And it all culminates into the SMA/AMPS/IPMS/NNL International Model Fest in Moncton, NB, Sept 27 & 28, 2014, right? LOL

Would be cool though, not sure about zones, speaking locally....gotta think Maritime provinces as one zone. OK, we can include Newfoundland as well, but they have to bring the beer!

Hmmm...not sure anyone is around capital region NY...Ken might actually be the closest there in Mah-sa-chu-setts....

Well, I know there are more than a few SMA members in the greater New England area. I have the pleasure of seeing a number of them on a semi frequent basis.

I'd be curious to see how many members we have in the Durham Region area of S. Ontario.

Jim

There might be enough of us west of the Rockies to form something. And there's nothing wrong with Blue except it makes me pee lots. But I don't think the brand has anything to do with that. ;D SMA West!! Count me in!!

My case it would be more SMA USA West.
Kind of in the middle of the US Rockies here in Utah

Afternoon everyone,

I must confess i was one of the guys who asked Scott about this.

I live weeeeeeeeeey down in Florida, i think i am the member furthest south in mainland USA, you would have to live in the Florida Keys to beat me.
I have been looking at IPMS and other model clubs to see the nearest chapter to me so i could maybe join up and get together with people and just talk modeling but the nearsest group of folks is still a bit of a drive for me.
Then i saw in the new members section a guy called Charles Kelley who lives in Miami, i PM'd Charles and said we should meet up, we haven't done so yet but we are in contact and i'm sure it will happen soon.
I was so excited to find someone that close to me i could talk to, who maybe understood my language and i could meet with i thought what better way to do it than through my home site, SMA.

The overall support i have received from people on this site has been nothing short of fantastic, Scott was the inspiration for me to return to modeling and i know i'm not the only person he has infulenced, so a fitting way to celebrate this, i thought, would be through getting together with local SMA Friends and celebrating under The SMA family name.

How would it work, i don't know, i would suggest a once a month meeting for drinks and dinner to start with then maybe some club days to show off out stuff and maybe a section on the site to post these events, moving on to representing SMA at competitions and events in your area, accumulating in a SMA world conference once a year in a different State or Country.

I don't really know the details,
All i know is, it would be very cool to meet all you folks one day.

Thats my 2 cents (or 1, 1/2 pence if your in England)

What do you think peeps?

Gag

(Toe)

I like the idea too. And like you, the nearest place that hosts any kind of model show is a 9 hr drive one way. Anyone here near Prince George B.C.?

Sounds like a plan to me :) I would have no issues starting a chapter here ,besides it will bring new members in too ;)

Chris.

I am in the same position that a lot of you are in, I have no one near that builds models. I have met one or two at my local hobby shop but they are the reclusive types that don't really talk and just grunt at you.

Having said that if I could start a local chapter I would love to..

Try putting an add up in your LHS john ,see if you get a response ?

Chris.

Cool. Well there is interest.

What I can do, after back from AMPS/vacay next week, is design some material that everyone can print out. I'm thinking posters to put up at you LHS for one. Some table top stuff for shows. (I had promised Chris this kinda stuff a while back and got sidetracked so please remind me via PM late next week)

Coolness. Thank guys.

Jeeves said:
Hmmm...not sure anyone is around capital region NY...Ken might actually be the closest there in Mah-sa-chu-setts....

Not the closest Jeeves!! ;D Cool thought here!! ;)

Grendels said:
I am in the same position that a lot of you are in, I have no one near that builds models. I have met one or two at my local hobby shop but they are the reclusive types that don't really talk and just grunt at you.

I guess we can constitute the Texas chapter. I'm afraid you may be the closest member to my location. I at least have a small club here in Amarillo, but we do well to get together once a month.

Chris S said:
Try putting an add up in your LHS john ,see if you get a response ?

Chris.

Great Idea Chris! I think I am going to wait on this:

Scott Girvan said:
Cool. Well there is interest.

What I can do, after back from AMPS/vacay next week, is design some material that everyone can print out. I'm thinking posters to put up at you LHS for one. Some table top stuff for shows. (I had promised Chris this kinda stuff a while back and got sidetracked so please remind me via PM late next week)

Coolness. Thank guys.

Deere_driver said:
Grendels said:

I guess we can constitute the Texas chapter. I'm afraid you may be the closest member to my location. I at least have a small club here in Amarillo, but we do well to get together once a month.

There are a few others here in Texas but not many. I am beginning to think that model building is somewhat related to how far north you go. The further north, the more you build them due to the nasty winters. Here winter is kind of like spring in Canada....

Latest posts

Back