Show us your mancave(s)!

Sweet space LGB62.

A bit of an update on my space. I had mentioned we were planning on moving etc.... But we backed out of that. The loft is completely 'bare' right now and I was debating installing a proper floor etc...

Well turns out we shuffled our kids rooms around this weekend and there is a vacant 13"x11" bedroom in the basement. I am 99% certain that this will become my new mancave. It's in the main house, easy to heat, has a floor already etc...

And with that said, we just might convert the loft into an apartment. Makes more sense IMO. I really don't need that much space. Honestly it's a bit too much...and my hoarding tendencies get totally out of control.

Stay tuned. Hopefully I'll be able to get back to a bench, make a few videos again, and build something!

Note: I just split the discussion about my new space. Look for it here in chit chat. Just don't wanna make this thread all about me.

Scott Girvan said:
Note: I just split the discussion about my new space. Look for it here in chit chat. Just don't wanna make this thread all about me.

AH come on Scott this hole site is all about you!!! and we like it this way!!

It's interesting how quickly you recognize issues with a new work space, just after a couple kits builds.

With my original shelf setup I thought above the work table was better but soon realized that the bench got messy and I could barely reach my paints.

8040978797_83475a9966_c.jpg

So I decided to do something about it.

I purchased 2x 10' lengths of pine 3/4 x 4" then cut them in half giving me four total.
They're held in place by 3" corner braces.

8192045324_4656fc7ecd_c.jpg

I then added 1/4 round molding as a stop buffer for the the various bottles, shooting them in with a brad nailer.

8190959799_926d5b50d7_c.jpg

All shelves have the same depth so I can move items around as needed.

8192045766_af89f8f111_c.jpg

Now we're talking!

8190960597_7a6599c493_c.jpg

8192046666_953c43ee60_c.jpg

8190961127_8a25c916ce_c.jpg

8190961305_b64673d33c_c.jpg

Almost ready to build my first! Just kidding, though I am only on my third since restarting this hobby.

I kinda got obsessed with the workspace… and the tools… and the paints… and the weathering supplies...

In a way I've been trying to get back into the hobby for the past couple of years and have hardly anything to show for it. I just have an art desk and plastic sliding shelves to store stuff in, but once I take something out to use, I rarely put it away afterwards.

Right. I was lucky that I had the spare unfinished room that I could transform into the studio area you see. It also helps to have good power tools and building knowledge!

Having worked on building my own house over the last few years, you start to collect that kind of stuff.

I'm either stuck in my bedroom or in a dorm room, but I really need to start bringing only what I need. Here is a rough picture of my set-up.
IMG_3528.JPG

I know right. Gonna build something like that in my new space.

One thing I'm still undecided....do I screw into stud...therefore butchering my walls....or try and build a free standing structure.

I'm leaning towards butcher...it's easier and down the road I can repair the drywall pretty easily. Would be stronger too.

Ian said:
I kinda got obsessed with the workspace… and the tools… and the paints… and the weathering supplies...

Same here. I love working on the cave.

Yeah, studs make sense. Gonna start tomorrow. My lovely wife got me a new cordless drill, so I can screw all day tomorrow. Lol.

Latest posts

Back