Scratchbuilt F-4 Phantom nose radar 1/48

Captain Caveman III

"Captain Caveman"!
Hello guys, first I need to tell you that I'm only building the nose radar unit. For a felow club member.(Northshore Scale Modelers) Seeing that he was building is F-4 with side panels removed. I asked if you planed on adding the nose radar. He replyed he didn't have the money for it and was going to pass on adding it.
I told him I'll scratchbuild it for you. Seeing all that detail of the front half of the fuselage. (I hope I got that right) It would look as if it were missing something., with the radar it will look more balanced.

Any way after asking some online friends about what I was looking for., one sent me a photo copy from a book he had. So last knight I started work. Now when I was at our last club meet with my friend Jack Knight. (The F-4 builder) I made a rough sketch and missplaced that paper. So I though I had the right size in my head.
F-4-Phan-Radar-1.jpg

An now that I have most of the front base section built. I found the paper that had the right size on it. So I'm now working on rebuilding this base section once more. This is how far I got before I found that paper.
F-4-Phan-Radar-3.jpg

Man I don't want to have to rebuild all of this detail smaller. If I could size it down a bit I could going and finish building the dish section.
F-4-Phan-Radar-2.jpg

More to come later to knight... :-\

Well guys some things have happond. Chrismas season being one of them. Any way the guy in qustion has passed on one of the dish systems. So I'm going to keep the 1:48 scale dish and Hill be getting the 1:32 dish. So here's the finishbuild up.
The radar dish is made from a milk cartin plug.
6563896185_c4d774b25d.jpg

6563894349_1caaa16603.jpg

6563897195_f6f060fff0.jpg

Now the front.
6563915273_405bda6dc3.jpg

6563918835_447a9e84f2.jpg

Great update, Capt!!!

some of the styrene strips are so small "how did you do it?"

(welcome to discovery Chanel) ;D

Happy Holidays!!!

looks really Good there Capt. I'm gettin ready to do the same. I'll be referencing this as I go.

Latest posts

Back