Satyr's DeAgostini Millenium Falcon Build

I think I got my cockpit finished and fibered. I did all the details in putty that includes the nav shroud, the lever box, the light domes and all the little toggle switches. I used my custom sticker replacement for the graphic background. Made finding the holes for the fibers alot easier. I hooked up some LEDs to it temporarily and took some pics to see how it will look. Whatcha think?

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

The nav computer and the cockpit turned out nice. This build is coming alive.

Hagoth said:
The nav computer and the cockpit turned out nice. This build is coming alive.

Thanks bro... still got alot of things to do on this baby, but it's slowly coming along.

OK all... here's my latest updates on this puppy so far! As you may or may not know, I've been attempting to accurize as much as possible for as little as possible. One thing that absolutely drives me insane is the totally uninteresting and toy looking back nav seats. For one thing, they aren't accurate at all (except maybe the line cushions), but other than that, very square, too short, and totally wrong on too many levels. I tried rounding the head topper, but to no avail, this would have to be scratch built, and would also mean that now I would have to make the floor accurate too.

attachment.php

I was looking at the floor in my cockpit and decided that it really needed to be fixed. But I really wanted to be able to maintain the tabs for the backwall. So I cut out a good size hole in the floor behind the front seats and decided to make my own flooring to look more like the floor of the actual cockpit. I cut out some pieces of sheet styrene and glued them all together and placed them in the hole and glued them in place. I think it's a pretty good compromise... what you all think?

attachment.php
attachment.php

• Alright all you happy peoples... got a big update for everyone. Have been working on scratch building the nav chairs. I got out my reference photos and set to work with my putty and began working on the first frame.

My first task was get some kind of measurements. As far as I can tell from the photo the top of the nav chair is a head and a half taller then the front seats, but I also had to factor in the fact that the floor is also dropped a bit lower then then one the front seat is on (hence the reason for the lowered floor in the cockpit). So I took a stick and placed the front seat in place and eyeballed the measurement on the stick. I used that measurement to figure out the rest of my build. Using that measurement I pulled out some putty and started shaping it. I placed a couple of strips of styrene down to give a better ridge to it. Here's the result...

attachment.php

Althou it didn't come out too bad, I realized I was gonna have to repeat this process 2 more times and frankly, getting the putty to this point took about 2 hours. Didn't like it... so I basically started over again with styrene and think it came out looking better then the putty. I also have some styrene tubing that I thought would make the look a lot nicer, so using the thickness of the tubing, I figured out the width of the framing... Came out looking alot cleaner and straight-edged.

attachment.php
    attachment.php

I needed to encase the tubing inside the frame but I also had to make two 90 degree tubes along the side that kinda of protruded thru the framing in the bottom of the top hole of the frame and the second to bottom hole. I used my dremel to make some concave cuts in the end of the tubing and then cut 6 little pieces to glue onto the tube in the proper places. I had to fit them into the holes to make sure I had them in the right places. I painted them black, glued two strips to the sides and then glued them onto the backs of the frames.

attachment.php
    attachment.php

So far not looking too bad. I cut out the seats and backs and the back tops. I glued one together and I started thinking that maybe these frames were too big, so I placed them next to the provided seats to compare them and I guess not. Looks like I'm right on track.

attachment.php

attachment.php

More to come!

• Now comes the fun part. The seat topper. This thing is completely wacky to try to build from scratch. Hard to make a template for it as well because you have to glue, let dry and shape and round and fix, then glue another piece, let dry and sand and shape, ad nausea... but I got one done. Here's how it looks...

attachment.php
    attachment.php

Looks about right to me. So I glued it in place and started working on the line cushions... this time I turned to my trusty putty. Doesn't look too bad... Whatcha think?

attachment.php
    attachment.php

Two more toppers to go... then the arms rests, the side greeblies, and the supports and I can start painting! Really starting to come together.

Thanks Q... almost finished... just a little more to go... doing those toppers are the hardest part. The rest should be gravy!

Grendels said:
Seats look great!

Thanks bro... two more to go. BTW - Your Ma.K is coming along nicely... always loved those models. They were the first multimedia models I ever build and totally inspired me to start scratch building! You're doing a great job on yours!

Ok all... big update... I realize that I should update daily, but work keeps me too busy to do so, so I update at least weekly if possible. So... on with the progress...

I know I wanted to greeble out the hell of this sucker, so I finally found some really good refrerences online... I believe they were by Maruska if I'm not mistaken... but they helped me get a lot of the details that I needed to put into this. Here's a couple of reference pics I used for my detailing.

attachment.php
attachment.php

With those pics I was able to at least get close to the detail I needed and I set to work on the details. The hardest part was getting the toppers right... I think I did but on with the pics.

attachment.php

attachment.php

One thing you have to remember is that I had to do this 3 times... but I realized that I wanted the chair in the lounge to look the best so I made it my hero chair. Its also a but taller with a few more added greeblies that I will add later. Note the top is hollow just like the real chair.

attachment.php

attachment.php

And here is all the pics of the chairs with all the detailing done before painting (don't worry, they are coming up next).

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

More to come...

And now the completely painted and finished chairs (except for the Lounge chair... still gotta add more greeblies to that).

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

I even drilled out the holes in the topper so that light shines thru properly. I hope you all enjoy this... let me know what you think! I really do enjoy reading your comments!

Latest posts

Back