Revell Spitfire 1/32 scale - DONE!!! well...kinda!?

Mikey_W_1980

Afternoon all!

So a friend of mine has asked me to build him a Spitfire for a project he's working on and needed a highly detailed kit to use as reference points, pose it and and work with.

So, as the dutiful friend I said yes, no problem....bearing in mind that this is the first aircraft I have built in over 15 years....but here goes....I've not done a pics of the spru's as I;'m sure you all know what they look like.

What I will say is how impressed I am with the quality of the kit, and the detail it goes into, especially with the tub.

I'm not doing any extra detailing for it, however, I am toying with the idea of adding a mechanism so the landing gear can be extended and retracted.

The kit in question.

Revell+Spitfire+Mk+IIa+%2823%29.jpg

The cockpit assembly starts
DSC_0477.jpg

DSC_0483.jpg

Some basic colouring at the moment
DSC_0484.jpg

Side fuselage attached
DSC_0487.jpg

Internal, with detailing and weathering
DSC_0489.jpg

DSC_0490.jpg

DSC_0491.jpg

For some reason, dark washes over the leather seat backing do not want to adhere....any advise would be appreciated.

Next steps are the rest of the cockpit detailing, and the sealing up of the fuselage. One thing I did notice is that there is a nasty "bowing" to it.

Should be easily rectified though.

Enjoy the pics, and I hope to be adding more soon enough.

cheers

Mike

Re: Revell Spitfire 1/32 scale WIP

Cheers, still a bit to do internally I think...not 100% happy. but getting there

Managed a little more tonight, slowly does it, and now letting it dry for 24 hours before addressing any seem issues and what ever gap filling that will need to be done.

From the initial look of it...not a great deal.

With the Oxygen bottles behind the pilots seat, I wanted to make them stand out a bit more and opted for the tYellow finish. They may not be 100% accurate, but it gives the cockpit some additional colour.
DSC_0492.jpg

Starboard side close up
DSC_0493.jpg

Port side close up
DSC_0494.jpg

Due to the fuselage being slightly warped for some reason, the first half of the fuselage was glued and set in place
DSC_0495.jpg

Next up, glued together and bound in place, I made a start on the wings and the undercarriage too...still unsure how I'm going to be able to build a mechanism to allow the gear to be raised and lowered.
DSC_0496.jpg

As always, comments, thoughts, ideas and tips are always welcomed.

Off to a very nice start here.
She looks good

Very nice work. Love the detailing in the cockpit tub. I did the old tooling of this kit last year, and the detail on the new version exceeds the old one by leaps and bounds. Going to get one of these so I can have a 'better' Spitfire in the same scale.

Cheers guys, Always good to hear positive encouragement :)

The kit is really impressive, and not all that expensive either.

The dials are a particular bug bear to me....seeing the level of other builds, I'm puzzled to how its done...all I can think of is that they are aftermarket parts.

Presently I'm hunting down Tamiya rattle can paints that aren't extortionate prices.

Give that this Spit will be circa Summer 1940...the paint codes I've managed to determine are

AS-30 Matt RAF Dark Green 2

AS-22 Matt Dark Earth

AS-29 Matt Grey Green (ijn) for the underside.

Any tips....always welcomed

Great looking work man. Nice huge kit too.

Mornin' all!

Whilst trying to figure out a way to retract the landing gear, which didn't go exactly to plan and I'll need to do some minor re-building on the starboard landing gear strut to make sure they're level again. I've done a wee bit more.

Strapped up
DSC_0560.jpg

Masking tape tensioned up as there were a few gaps once slotted into place.
DSC_0561.jpg

The rear section was a bit of a struggle to slot into place
DSC_0562.jpg

A few gaps that I couldn't sort prior to gluing.....
DSC_0563.jpg

Left to dry over night and the bandages were removed and as suspected a wee bit of filling may be required...though I may leave this one as it may help with weathering....opinions welcomed
DSC_0564.jpg

More filler needed on this panel....just couldn't get it to sit right. Bit of filler and sanding to smooth it out
DSC_0565.jpg

And more filling needed on the Starboard wing....this is the worse out of the 2
DSC_0567.jpg

That's it so far....filling and sanding required before moving on to the tail and some base paint work on the wing sections.

For some reason this build is becoming a bit of a curse as well.....so far I've taken 2 huge chunks out of my thumb with the scalpel and I keep dropping the Spit....butter fingers!

Just a small update to make....

Tail wings attached and gaps filled in and sanded...
DSC_0568.jpg

And for the third time so far in this build, a nice slice into my thumb. I have literally bled over this kit...picture was taken after the bleeding stopped
DSC_0569.jpg

Then your success with the model should be assured. You have made your blood sacrifice to the modelling gods.

All kidding aside, this bird is looking good

haha!! cheers fella!

taking it slow and steady with this bird.....need to let my thumb heal a bit before I carry on.....but knowing my luck I'll slice it open.....again!!

Maybe it's linked to your avatar :)
Eddie has carried on through many worse injuries, then again it was just drinking he carried on with

;D good point there......my vision has been impaired by drinking the cleaning fluid again....

No pics but a small update.....wing main flaps are attached.......the inner flaps will be in the "down" position once all of the painting has been done.

slowly does it :)

This is going to be sexy! Will look forward to the finish line!

A little update for you all. Lots of masking and the start of paint.

DSC_0576.jpg

Before
DSC_0578.jpg

After - Painted with AS-29 - Grey Green
DSC_0579.jpg

Dark Earth Brown applied
DSC_0584.jpg

Masked off ready for the RAF Dark Green
DSC_0585.jpg

A slightly different camo scheme, but tried to keep it generic.

More to come soon.

Looks nice and tidy! Looking forward to the next instalment.

Pearse

Cheers Pearse! ;D

I think I may have made a mistake though, the camo pattern seems to be inverted.....usually you'd see the RAF Dark Green envelope the cockpit.....mine will be dark earth brown instead.

I don't think it will matter all that much.....just hope the purists here will let me get away with it?

I think it will look fine. Your model man, no worries here.

Another small update for you all, just a bit of additional paint done tonight....

underside
DSC_0588.jpg

Top view with the RAF Dark Green applied. Actually turned out better than I expected
DSC_0587.jpg

Starboard view, exhaust ports added as well with minimal weathering at this point
DSC_0586.jpg

Annnnnnnd thats about it for the moment....Landing gear is being looked at at the moment as will the propellers next up.

Decals then extensive weathering after that.

Latest posts

Back