Revell 1/48 P-38J Lightning

Thanks guys!
And you're right, I forgot that 'The goal is.......' The big thing behind my choice to do this kit was to test out a metal finished kit ...and make a P-38. So now, when I'm done, I can say that I've made a P-38 and started learning about getting a better metal finish.
Really glad to have you guys along on this one.
Thanks.

More to come, Cheers!

HI Ferris,

nice work, its really shaping up buddy ;D
the silver finish is really neat paint job ;)

looking forward to seeing it all together

cheer,

shane

Thanks Shane.
Update:
Did the anti-glare panels in OD and red for the wingtips. Still in the process of getting the spinners done.
Laid down the upper clear coat.

More to come.
Thanks for checking it out!
Cheers!

Looks good. Getting closer and closer to those decals. :)

Thanks guys!
Laid down a clear coat on the belly, gear doors, drop tanks, and superchargers. Also the red is pretty much done on the spinners. Would've been much easier if they had the blades seperate from the spinner nose, but oh well. Think I might hand brush the blades, dunno yet. I clear coated them too in case I had to mask, want to avoid any paint come up after all the work I've done. Still gotta get the landing gears and wheels done yet.

More to come.

Cheers!

Thanks Osquitz!

Update:
Tried to brush the black on the blades...and it didn't go so well. I went outside the lines so to speak and messed up the red spinner cone. Ran out of Tamiya flat red XF-7, so I tried a mix of the only red i had left which was Games Workshop's Blood red. Looked way to orange. Tried a mix of that and Chaos Black. Looked way to dark (but VERY cool!). LHS was closed. Made the trip when they opened, fixed the red with new XF-7.
Also picked up some more X-1 Black for undercoating the metallic colors. Sprayed the blades that as well. Sprayed the gear struts and waiting now for the paint to cure a bit before proceeding with the Testors Steel non-buffing lacquer.
I forgot about the wing weights after I finished spraying and cleaning the AB, so I brush painted those. Gonna attach them after a spray of aluminum.
And i place the superchargers in place. I used some white glue to hold them down.

All in all, it's coming along. This is one of the parts I hate, painting all the tedious bits. Though, I'm REALLY liking the Krome. The nozzle is a pain, dropped it yesterday and it was an hour long fight with the carpet monster to retrieve it. I'm finding it easier to use while using lacquer thinner to thin the Tamiya and Testors paints. I thin my paints pretty thin and spray at low pressure (10 PSI or so), it means I have to do a few more passes, but I get much more control this way. And with the needle stop adjustment thing in the back, I can control the flow. Sooooooo much nicer than my old Aztek.

Anyhoo, on to some pix.......

More to come!
Cheers!

Hi, Ferris, I like how the metalizer came out on the superchargers, they really have the look of metal that has been heated and cooled repeatedly, very realistic!

Hey ferris, amazing job !! keep up the good work, can´t wait to see it weathered and with all the decals on !!
btw i just finished painting mine with the aluminum coat and future... ;)

the Baron said:
Hi, Ferris, I like how the metalizer came out on the superchargers, they really have the look of metal that has been heated and cooled repeatedly, very realistic!

Thank you sir!
They really changed (for the better) once i clear coated them.

(for those who may wonder how i did that) I think I used Testors Aluminum buffable; then used red, orange, brown, and black pastels.

Osquitz said:
Hey ferris, amazing job !!

Thanks!

Hey Ferris,

Its been a while since ive checked in with this project, and have to say its looking top class, your skill does you much credit sir ;D

keep up the great work mate,

cant wait to see more,

thanks,

shane :)

Thanks again Shane. :)

Update:
i got the landing gear struts and wheels painted up, and glossed those and the props. Hopefully, I don't have anymore work to do them.
I just have the wing weights to spray aluminum and hopefully I can get to decals this weekend. :)

More to come!
Cheers!

Decals are done. Surprisingly, they were much thinner than the typical Revell kit. I don't think I'll need much Microsol. While doing the decals, i noticed a few areas on the tails that i forgot to paint red, so, when i finish the decals, Gonna do those then hopefully on to some panel lines.
Thanks for checking it out. I'll get some pix up soon of the decals.
More to come!
Cheers!

Well, it turns out that I indeed needed more microsol. On the wing top insignia, there is a raised detail hatch that the decal it barely snugging to. Also, there were a few other areas, but things are going good.
Here's an early pic.

More to come, thanks for checking it out!
Cheers!

Ferris this is looking awesome !! wish I could say the same about mine lol....
Decals came out great :D are you going to weather it? or leave it as new as it looks??
have fun!

Thanks Osquitz.
I just laid down a panel wash, then I think I'll do a flat and perhaps some exhaust staining, then leave it at that.

More to come.

Cheers!

Well, I'm gonna stick a Fork...Tailed Devil, in it and call it done.
The last bits I did were the panel lines (oil), the flat coat, and some exhaust stains and a little gun stains.
It's been interesting and fun. There are a few tidily bits I could do yet, but I'm not really interested in doing them. Maybe when I do another P-38.
But don't get me wrong, I am proud of it and I do like the results very much. :)
Enjoy!

Thanks for coming along with me on this.
Comments are welcomed.
Cheers!

Latest posts

Back