Revell 1/48 P-38J Lightning

hey Ferris, amazing progress!! I currently have the fuselage almost complete, I'm actually trying to figure out how to solve the gaps in the nose.. and the fitting in the engine nacelles is terrible too... ill try to upload a photo soon.
keep up the great work ! have fun !

Well, no paint yet. Been fussing with getting the canopy situated. I've been letting the glue dry for along time between steps, so they don't pop off while fidgeting with the other pieces. The Micro Kristal Klear is holding but gives a little flex, very nice.
I know it probably made to be displyaed open, but man o man.... The joints are gonna be a little wide on this one. :)
Definately chalking this one up as a learning expirence.

Cheers!

WOW ..you really like putting yourself through a whole world of hurt dont ya ;D ;D ,Nice work tho ,and it is coming along nice .

Chris.

Chris S said:
WOW ..you really like putting yourself through a whole world of hurt dont ya ;D ;D

Chris.
:)
Did some painting. Laid down a shiny black coat for the metal finish. Nearly forgot to paint the chromate green on the clear pieces (caught it just before painting them), then I noticed that I forgot to mask the wing light. Fixed all that. When the paint dried, I noticed that all the minor imperfections came right through. :( Lots-o-sanding marks. and that 'melting?' of the plastic from the lacquer thinner and CA accelerant. it all came through.
I figured that a few of the marks would come through, I'm focusing more on keeping the raised panel lines than really sanding things down too much. wow!
So, I tried brushing on some Future to fill in the sanding marks and scratches, and cover (even out) the other blemishes. So far, it looks good, I'll know more tomorrow when it's dry.
But here's a few pix from before all this tonight.

Balance.

Wheel bays masked

Bay doors

I pretty much used up the last drop of my Green Chromate. This bottle lasted me for many kits. In the end, it was heavily thinned and it took many passes with the AB to get a good layer down.

Canopy

First black layer. The brushed Future layer should make it shine.

Well, that's where things stand for now. Thanks for checking it out.
More to come.
Cheers!

Mate, putting in the hard yards on this one... looking the goods tho, nice work

Update: somewhat... The first future brush job appears to be working. Judging by the light reflections and such, i'm not seeing the marks and blemishes that well anymore. I did a few touch ups on it and hopefully this will work.

Thanks for checking it out!

Cheers!

Ok, we're back! Other things took me away for a few days, but on we march!
got the Gloss Al-lu-min-e-um on and for now I got a few fixes. Some of the future pooled and such.
Also, I was getting too caught up in trying to make it perfect and it was zapping my interest. But I'm back at it.
Here's a few pics.

Thanks for checking it out.
Cheers!

Dude, you gotta give a guy fair warning before you put up such bright pics!!! :p My eyes are still adjusting to the aluminum! ;) Great freaking job! May I ask what paint you used for that?

Looks cool!

and remember,

Ferris928 said:
Also, I was getting too caught up in trying to make it perfect and it was zapping my interest.

The goal is completion, not perfection. ;)

Great job Ferris. The aluminum finish looks fantastic. This is not an easy kit to put together; lots of tough joints to mate & fill, alignment, panels, not to mention the crazy masking.

Ken’s absolutely right. No build is ever perfect, but the main point (at least as I see it), is to have fun and learn/grow from a build. I struggle with some builds, but I just keep chipping away at them.

Looking forward to your next update.

Looks good to me :) ...On the home straight now ;)

Chris.

Latest posts

Back