question for LED pros/experts

J

Just Mike

My wife gave me a nice lamp for my birthday. It's a cluster of quite a few bright white LEDs and it's giving off a greenish hue. I don't know what to do about it. It there anything I can do?

The only thing that comes to mind is to get a lighting gel and try to change the color. You can't really change the color of LED's unless you outright replace them.

Actually he can change the color of the LED's without changing them. Tamiya makes a few "clear" colors in acrylic that are perfect for this problem. They make red, blue, green, yellow, and smoke. You can mix these and get different colors too if that's your want. Anyway just brush the clear color your looking for over the LED and let it dry. Turn her on and see how it looks. If you don't care for the color you can always remove the dry paint with denatured alcohol, or even safer Simple Green. I've painted white LED's like this because I get 100 of them from EBay real cheap and it beats purchasing different colored ones only to have a mega-stash of colored LED's to go along with the white ones.

I think he is referring to the greenish tint from his LED lamp, not trying to actually change the color of the LEDs.

Grendals is on to it...check your lamp, it likely has a lens covering/protecting the LEDs, the lens itself may actually have have the greenish tinge to it, and not actually the LEDs. The lense may have a thin protective film on it as well that you can peel off, sometimes they ship them with this film on it, to protect the actual lens from scratches during shipping. Couple of things to check anyway.

This lamp my also have Tri-Color LEDs in the cluster.
These bulbs can emit red, green or blue light, depending on what the chip is commanding.
For this type of bulb to acheive 'white' light, all three colors are on full power.
This 'white light' actually looks to have a pale greenish tint.

I don't know what type of LEDs are in your lamp, but this is what I think is happening

Grendels and Elm City Hobbies can jump in and correct any of that :)

Latest posts

Back