Q&A | Aircraft Group Build - Navy and Marine Aircraft

spud said:
went into my lhs to see what he had and he had both the kits i was looking at so i took both lol.

the A-1J Skyraider

and the Fairey Swordfish Mk.II
both tamiya kits so it wasnt cheap but meh they will keep me busy for a while.

Cool Spud,
The tamiya Swordfish is supposed to be a great kit, Tamiya has a PE set for the wing rigging if you want.

i ordered that also should have that some time before the build begins. i hope ;D. kind of nasty of tamiya not to include it in the kit i taught.

Just got word that my secret kit took flight from H.K. Can't wait! now... The hunt for
The right decals commence!

Later guys!

Ok I decided on these markings, only thing is I'll need to paint them since the only decals made of this are long OOP. Shouldn't be too hard to mask though since it's just the squadron code and national insignias.

reid-pby.jpg

Jack Reid was the first to spot the Japanese fleet attacking Midway in June 1942 after pushing his search further than he was supposed to

oh that will be nice redraider56. what about custom decals wouldnt they be easier than painting them on?

Maybe, I dont know yet. I forgot that there are decal sheets with letters and numbers so I'm looking at them now. The national insignias on Midway PBYs were oversized though and I doubt I'll find any close to that size. I got time yet though, I may be come across a Yellowhammer set yet before October

"Three hours later a big, fat PBY came down and started pickin' us outa da water. You know, that's when I was most scared....waitin' for my turn. I'll never put on a life jacket again......Farewell and adieu to you fair spanish ladies....farewell and adieu, you ladies of Spain......for we've recieved orders........................" :eek:

Just came from one of the LHS, Can't decide what to get

Tamiya 1/72 AV-8B Harrier II (can't find any review about this one)
HobbyBoss SH-60b Seahawk
a Hellcat... no bearcat available (There's still 2 other major LHS to look from)

there's still a month to go ^^

Eastrock said:

HobbyBoss SH-60b Seahawk
a Hellcat... no bearcat available (There's still 2 other major LHS to look from)

Hey there Eastrock,

That Tamiya Harrier kit is just a reboxed Italeri kit, so if you find a review of the Italeri kit....you are set.

Rule of thumb...if you see a Tamiya aircraft kit, and it is 1/72 scale....it isn't theirs, and usually a reboxed Italeri kit. Reason? Tamiya doesn't make any 1/72 aircraft.

May look into finding me an F-35 for this.
That's one that can cover all of the US Armed Forces

Quaralane said:

Depends on the version really. F-35A is an Airforce version, B the SVTOL version that the British were going to get (but have optioned for the C versions instead) and the USMC to operate off of their Amphip ships, the C is the Naval version that the USN and Brit Navy are buying, has the upgraded landing gear to take the shock of carrier landings and takeoffs.

Elm City Hobbies said:
Quaralane said:

Depends on the version really. F-35A is an Airforce version, B the SVTOL version that the British were going to get (but have optioned for the C versions instead) and the USMC to operate off of their Amphip ships, the C is the Naval version that the USN and Brit Navy are buying, has the upgraded landing gear to take the shock of carrier landings and takeoffs.

I think the C version also has a slightly increased wing-Span.

Quaralane said:
That has to be one of the saddest things I have heard in while. Just behind the final shuttle flight. The F-35 is just so, less than. Gone forever are the days of fighters, attackers, bombers, ewacs, and recon. It's a neat looking design but such a poor plane in cost and performance in comparrison to it's predecessors.

Elm City Hobbies said:
Eastrock said:

HobbyBoss SH-60b Seahawk

Hey there Eastrock,

That Tamiya Harrier kit is just a reboxed Italeri kit, so if you find a review of the Italeri kit....you are set.

Rule of thumb...if you see a Tamiya aircraft kit, and it is 1/72 scale....it isn't theirs, and usually a reboxed Italeri kit. Reason? Tamiya doesn't make any 1/72 aircraft.

Great!!! Thanks Scott!!! I may decide later after I visit the other LHS here...

P.S.
read the review about the Harrier, it had a raise panel and needed a major surgery to make more accurate. I'm just starting to build A/C and still need a lot to learn

redraider56 said:
Ok I decided on these markings, only thing is I'll need to paint them since the only decals made of this are long OOP. Shouldn't be too hard to mask though since it's just the squadron code and national insignias.

reid-pby.jpg

Jack Reid was the first to spot the Japanese fleet attacking Midway in June 1942 after pushing his search further than he was supposed to

thats a sweet drawing.

Hey Ace,
I've been booting around the inter-web the past few days, looking at possible subjects I might like to build for this GB. You know, just comparing what I have here at home in my model kit stash and at a few kits available ( right now I'm considering a 1:48 Tomcat or Corsair II). Anyways, I saw this kit on the Hasagawa website and thought you might be interested;
hsgs7228bs01m-lg.jpg

Here is the link to the Hasagawa USA website.
http://www.hasegawausa.com/product-pages/hsgs7228.html

JMac

Latest posts

Back