Q&A | Aircraft Group Build - Navy and Marine Aircraft

Should be a ton of possibilities for subjects to build. We seem to be focusing on fixed wing aircraft, but don't forget about the various helicopters that navy's use world wide.

And no one has mentioned building a F-14 yet...

JMac said:
And no one has mentioned building a F-14 yet...

To be honest, Tomcats scare the *biiiiiib* out of me. One of my very first models was a Tomcat (1/48 scale I think) and I had so many troubles getting it done it wasn't even funny. I've always wanted to do one (I love the design) but I don't know if I have the guts to try it now...

f2k said:
To be honest, Tomcats scare the *biiiiiib* out of me. One of my very first models was a Tomcat (1/48 scale I think) and I had so many troubles getting it done it wasn't even funny. I've always wanted to do one (I love the design) but I don't know if I have the guts to try it now...

(chuckles) that's too bad, but I understand; getting all of those surfaces by and rear of the wing gloves would scare me too.

This is bad...I've got a few possible kits in my stash that I could build for this GB, but right now I'm looking into available F-14 kits, a Tomcat would be so cool.

Hey Herds!! does a F-15 Strike eagle with aggressor marking counts? if not I have to choose one of these...

F-16c/d aggressor (arctic type) Thanks Scott (ELM) for the Heads up!!
F-18 Super Hornet
P-40B Hawk
Heli (have to scout some LHS)

Thanks !!!

Eastrock said:
Hey Herds!! does a F-15 Strike eagle with aggressor marking counts? if not I have to choose one of these...

F-16c/d aggressor (arctic type) Thanks Scott (ELM) for the Heads up!!
F-18 Super Hornet
P-40B Hawk
Heli (have to scout some LHS)

Thanks !!!

The F-18 is the only one that qualifies. The Arctic Aggressor scheme on the 16 is Air Force not Navy

Thanks ShutterAce!!!

The P-40B hawk was use in pearl harbor against the Zero, in what I've read in wikipedia.

so I'm down with 2 choices F-18 or a Heli.

Eastrock said:
Thanks ShutterAce!!!

The P-40B hawk was use in pearl harbor against the Zero, in what I've read in wikipedia.

so I'm down with 2 choices F-18 or a Heli.

P-40B was at Pearl Harbor, but was Army Air Corps, not Navy or Marines...sorry.

F-16C/D Aggressor? No, as I believe they were Air Force only. F-16N would be Navy.

F-15E anything, only used by USAF, few other versions used by a couple of other countries, but none of them Navy or Marines.

Chris S said:
Ok ......This one is my entry ;D Been looking for an excuse to build it ;D

DSCF3534.jpg

Chris.

First off, Chris I'm not picking on you. I just need some clarification here.

As far as I know Germany did not have a naval air arm during WW2. Goering made sure that he had control of anything having to do with his air force. It was pretty much a self contained fighting force. If I am correct, since the Kreigsmarine did not have aircraft, no German WW2 aircraft would qualify. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

Yea I know, I should have been a lawyer. ;)

ok. came across the Tamiya 1/48 Fairey Swordfish Mk.II and boy what a sweet looking kit. does this count it has foldy wings..

And the Tamiya 1/48 Douglas A-1J Skyraider. acording to Wiki it as used by the us navy. does that count for the build?

Arado Ar 196 Wiki

spud said:
ok. came across the Tamiya 1/48 Fairey Swordfish Mk.II and boy what a sweet looking kit. does this count it has foldy wings..

And the Tamiya 1/48 Douglas A-1J Skyraider. acording to Wiki it as used by the us navy. does that count for the build?

Arado Ar 196 Wiki

Well there ya go. I stand corrected. Thanks Spud! :D

As far as your two picks they are both qualifiers. the Skyraider says NAVY right on the side.

Just as ShutterAce pointed out the German navy did not have their own aircraft during the war.
see the below link.

http://www.feldgrau.com/articles.php?ID=37
according to the link, the Luftwaffe basically controlled everything that flew in WW2 -as a world military kind of an odd duck. This would have included ship board aircraft like the AR196 and the BF109T. However both of these units operated (or would have operated) on a naval unit- personally I'd consider them valid for the GB because they were intended to operate from a ship (unlike the F-106), and the German had no equivalent naval air arm during the war.

Just my two cents.
JMac

lol your welcome and thanks ;D now all i need to choose wich one to do. the skyraider might be easier... but i love the look of the sowrdfish

I will most likely be doing:

Frs 1 Sea Harrier- 1/72 scale Hasegawa in Falkland Islands scheme
F9f-2 1/72 scale Hobby Boss in Argentinian Navy scheme

I think I'll do something like this:

f4_phantom_vmfa531.jpg

Probably go for a hasegawa kit, but I need to learn more before I can choose the right one (they have a ton to choose from). The fun begins!

Latest posts

Back