Q&A | Aircraft Group Build - Navy and Marine Aircraft

Hodges said:
I think I'll do something like this:

f4_phantom_vmfa531.jpg

Probably go for a hasegawa kit, but I need to learn more before I can choose the right one (they have a ton to choose from). The fun begins!

Can't go wrong with an F-4!

That there is an F-4B. The Hasegawa kit is nice but be warned it has raised panel lines. Raised panels lines don't bother me in the slightest but now you know. The later versions have engraved panel lines. How about an F-4J?

ShutterAce said:
Hodges said:

f4_phantom_vmfa531.jpg

Probably go for a hasegawa kit, but I need to learn more before I can choose the right one (they have a ton to choose from). The fun begins!

That there is an F-4B. The Hasegawa kit is nice but be warned it has raised panel lines. Raised panels lines don't bother me in the slightest but now you know. The later versions have engraved panel lines. How about an F-4J?
That would be good but I read somewhere the Hasegawa J's only saw limited production (but who knows if that was reliable). By the way how did you know it's a B? That was the first variant built for the Navy right so I guess that makes sense what with the approximate age of the photo (black and white) and folded wings...I'm just curious.

Anyways you know what I'm going to learn as much as I can but if I can't find the perfect kit version that's okay....and I've got loads of time!

Well, you Guys have me fired up to join in here and build up some Navy air power. Mine will be a WWII carrier staple. The SBD Dauntless. I have the Revell kit on the shelf. I'll see what I can do with her come fall.

Hodges said:
ShutterAce said:
Hodges said:

f4_phantom_vmfa531.jpg

That would be good but I read somewhere the Hasegawa J's only saw limited production (but who knows if that was reliable). By the way how did you know it's a B? That was the first variant built for the Navy right so I guess that makes sense what with the approximate age of the photo and folded wings...I'm just curious.

Anyways you know what I'm going to learn as much as I can but if I can't find the perfect kit version that's okay....and I've got loads of time!

The chin pod gives it away. Originally housed an IR Seeker but the seekers were removed early in the Phantoms life. Afterwards they put some kind of antenna in there I think.

ShutterAce said:
Hodges said:
ShutterAce said:
Hodges said:

f4_phantom_vmfa531.jpg

That would be good but I read somewhere the Hasegawa J's only saw limited production (but who knows if that was reliable). By the way how did you know it's a B? That was the first variant built for the Navy right so I guess that makes sense what with the approximate age of the photo and folded wings...I'm just curious.

The chin pod gives it away. Originally housed an IR Seeker but the seekers were removed early in the Phantoms life. Afterwards they put some kind of antenna in there I think.

Cool, thanks for the tip. Let the learning begin!

Hmm hmm hmm. Been thinking about this a little bit anr ealized I really dont have anything lined up after my current builds, so I think I'll pull out the Monogram PBY that's been sitting at the bottom of the stash. Wanted tis kit so bad a few years back and all I got done on it was contruct the cockpit seats and thats it. The kit decals come with USAF search and rescue markings so I'll build it as a Navy bird from the Battle of Midway

fumblethumbs said:
Well, you Guys have me fired up to join in here and build up some Navy air power. Mine will be a WWII carrier staple. The SBD Dauntless. I have the Revell kit on the shelf. I'll see what I can do with her come fall.
cant wait to see it XD

schweinhund227 said:
So! What it be? ;)

Corsairs? Bearcat? Wildcat???

a Corsair would be cool, but i have never seen someone build a scale model kit of a Bearcat.

well you guys are sure rocking and rolling along... feel like a lousy moderatior, beacuse there are two straight pages of comments, and i ain't in a single one of them.. o well, ill make it up!

Keep up the good work guys!

Definitely going to get in on this one! I have wanted to build an F4U Corsair for ever, and now I have the excuse to do it!

Woo hoo!

Cave_Dweller said:
Would US Coast Guard be eligible for this? I wanted to do a Jayhawk

I speak for myself here!

The U.S. Coast Guard is one of the five armed forces of the United States and the only military organization within the Department of Homeland Security. Since 1790 the Coast Guard has safeguarded our Nation's maritime interests and environment around the world. The Coast Guard is an adaptable, responsive military force of maritime professionals whose broad legal authorities, capable assets, geographic diversity and expansive partnerships provide a persistent presence along our rivers, in the ports, littoral regions and on the high seas.

I think, personally that your JayHawk Qualifies!

But that's me talking!

I'll visit our LHS later and see what's available....

I haven't see also someone building a bearcat, maybe I could try... if I could find one locally

if not I may end up with a Super Hornet or a SkyRaider

I'm In with the arfix 1:24 Harrier , convert it to a sea harrier won't be hard to do.
or the us marines version , they flew the av8

airfix_18003_title.jpg

schweinhund227 said:
Cave_Dweller said:
Would US Coast Guard be eligible for this? I wanted to do a Jayhawk

I speak for myself here!

The U.S. Coast Guard is one of the five armed forces of the United States and the only military organization within the Department of Homeland Security. Since 1790 the Coast Guard has safeguarded our Nation's maritime interests and environment around the world. The Coast Guard is an adaptable, responsive military force of maritime professionals whose broad legal authorities, capable assets, geographic diversity and expansive partnerships provide a persistent presence along our rivers, in the ports, littoral regions and on the high seas.

I think, personally that your JayHawk Qualifies!

But that's me talking!

Indeed you are correct, sir! And as a former Coast Guardsman, I want engage my patriotic nerdiness and build a Coast Guard model!

Latest posts

Back